No announcement yet.

Last modified date - can it be changed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last modified date - can it be changed?

As per title, can the last modified or creation date be manually modified?

Got a good reason for this really. I'm IT Manager at a law firm and we are just starting to implement document imaging for post that comes in. Trouble is, the post might not be scanned in on the day of its arrival, as it may be something from days/weeks/months/years ago that is now relevant. When its then scanned in, it has the date as of when its scanned in and for document management reasons its then out of chronological order, which makes Solicitors easily confused! They are a strange bunch....

Anyway, can it be done and if so how? Oh and its on a Win XP Pro machine/win 2k3 Domain.
    James
    MCP

Re: Last modified date - can it be changed?

is your friend!

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...ion+date&meta=
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes, it definitely CAN be done, although speaking from a computer forensics viewpoint, it would be odd that a lawyer / solicitor would have manually edited files. Kind of goes against the chain of evidence in many ways.

Instead, you may want to look into document imaging software that allows multiple date / time stamps for documents and the like.

FYI, the last time I manually edited date was in a computer forensics class using software I frankly remember nothing about. If you're looking to do this by yourself w/ no extra software, you can probably do it with a hex editor.

Regardless, for legal purposes, I'd STRONGLY recommend making sure NO ONE can edit the file properties after you're done, and log ANY and ALL changes to those files (again, for legal purposes). I'd also remove the modified date from the folder view, and add the created date.

If the lawyers can't see the benefits of the chain of evidence and whatnot... I'd make sure your ass is covered with a letter of absolution or something from the primary partner(s) of the law firm. Either that or get a good IP attorney on your side.
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by swfblade View Post
        As per title, can the last modified or creation date be manually modified?

Got a good reason for this really. I'm IT Manager at a law firm and we are just starting to implement document imaging for post that comes in. Trouble is, the post might not be scanned in on the day of its arrival, as it may be something from days/weeks/months/years ago that is now relevant. When its then scanned in, it has the date as of when its scanned in and for document management reasons its then out of chronological order, which makes Solicitors easily confused! They are a strange bunch....

Anyway, can it be done and if so how? Oh and its on a Win XP Pro machine/win 2k3 Domain.
        Would it not be easier to just start the filename with the date it was received, that way anyone accesing the files can easily see when the document has arrived and when it was scanned, then you have both date's

Example :
        year-month-day
        2006-08-19 Bladiebla.some extension
        2006-10-01 morebladiebla.other extension

that way it get's sorted in year>month>day
        Last edited by RonaldM; 19th June 2008, 10:32.

Comment

Ossian, yeah thanks, but I'd already tried google, pretty much with those exact words and just got all those same 3rd party apps. I ideally wanted to know if it could be done manually within windows.

Wired, yeah i get all points re legalities, but trust me, I would definitely cover myself!

It's more just the fact that they may have a letter dated, say August 2002, but they scan it into their file today, in a Date order view that file will be WAY out of sequence. It wouldn't be so bad if the modified date was still the date it was scanned in, and the created date was August 2002. At least there would be some reference to the actual date the document was written/received rather than some random date that it was scanned in.
          James
          MCP

Comment

RonaldM, yup it would be easier, but it doesn't solve the problem of sorting by date within the file.
            James
            MCP

Comment

Originally posted by swfblade View Post
              RonaldM, yup it would be easier, but it doesn't solve the problem of sorting by date within the file.
              Maybe you should find out if the scanning software supports custom addin's that pops up an window after scanning requesting the date it should be stored under.

Or something like that.

As far as i know, the legal side of it doesn't really mather because when it comes to that point you will almost will always have to supply the original paper version somehow, scanning documents does not replace the paper version, it's just more convinient and youre paper version stays clean and preserved (AFAIK that is).
              Last edited by RonaldM; 19th June 2008, 10:56.

Comment

Actually (in England anyway) so long as you can provide a valid Audit trail, Electronic documents are fine. Its a little more in depth than that, but basically you can use electronic docs as evidence.

Anyway, we digress. Bottom line it seems is that this cant be done easily without a 3rd party program. I'll look into that then, cheers.
                James
                MCP

Comment

Working...
                X