Windows 2000 SP4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 SP4

Hello everyone, I've been trying to get one of my computers online, I have DSL. I hooked it up to the router, which I am currently online with. I've called AT&T & Linksys but all I got from them is that I should upgrade to XP Pro or Home . It's currently running Windows 2000 SP4. So I guess what I'm asking is "HELP", can someone please give me some advise on what I need to do . And let me add that I'm getting the 2 comp icon in the taskbar or toolbar, but one only lights up"blinks". Unlike mine that is online, they both light up "blink". Please help get my hubby online so he will leave me alone. Thank you.

Re: Windows 2000 SP4

Hello,
    Windows 2000 SP4 will reach the internet just like any OS, so there should be no problem with that.

I assume that you have checked both computers device managers to verify both NICs work? I also assume that the NIC cables change nothing if switched over?

Have you used Windows update to see if there are any later drivers? Or have you tried the NIC makers driver pages?

Given that you can reach the net with one computer, then the router uplink cable is attached to the DSL switch. Is the router a two or four port at least? Does moving the NIC cables help?

When you state that lights blink, to what do you refer? The task bar or the router or the DSL switch? Do you have notification on your task bar when the NICs are active/working? That helps.

If you want to keep your husband away from you, we can't help there!!

Regards,
    Paul

Comment

Re: Windows 2000 SP4

Originally posted by jonescountry2007 View Post
      Hello everyone, I've been trying to get one of my computers online, I have DSL. I hooked it up to the router, which I am currently online with. I've called AT&T & Linksys but all I got from them is that I should upgrade to XP Pro or Home . It's currently running Windows 2000 SP4. So I guess what I'm asking is "HELP", can someone please give me some advise on what I need to do . And let me add that I'm getting the 2 comp icon in the taskbar or toolbar, but one only lights up"blinks". Unlike mine that is online, they both light up "blink". Please help get my hubby online so he will leave me alone. Thank you.
      What exactly do you want us to tell you??

Does the machine get an IP address from the router?? Open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all and check your IP address. If it is 0.0.0.0 or 169.x.x.x then something is wrong and you need to get that fixed before we can go any further.

Does your router have DHCP enabled on it?? Is it issuing the IP addresses correctly??

More information is needed to successfullly help

Comment

Working...
      X