Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• session3 initialization failed error with Volume License XP CD

Hi Guys,

I currently tasked with creating a base XP image which our provisioning system (LanDesk) is going to use to push out images to new workstations. At the moment I'm creating a base XP image for a Dell Opliplex 330. When I use the Dell recovery CD everything works fine. When I use out Volume License XP CD (Need to use this as we need to use the Volume License Key) I get all the way through the initial windows set-up to just before you start configuring how you want the disk partitioned and I get the following BSOD error:

session3 initialization failed

I've googled the error and a few places mention a faulty XP disk and also issues with the CD drive being SATA rather than IDE. Anyone else experienced this issue before? Unfortunatley I dont have a spare VL XP CD but I'm going to take my XP TechNet CD in tomorrow and give that a try and see If I get the same BSOD.

If my CD works tomorrow then I will try and get a hold of a new VL XP CD but if not then anyone else have any ideas? I was think of just building it with the OEM XP CD and then sysprepping it, using the OEM license key and then NOT resetting the grace period - What do you think?

I would rather use the VLK if I can. The other option is so somehow mash the OEM cd and our VL XP CD into one workable CD - Ain't got a clue on how to do this thought

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: session3 initialization failed error with Volume License XP CD

If the CD is SATA is the disk as well?
    If it is in AHCI then try other options, I would initially just guess it is the drivers for that.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

change the disk from AHCI to SATA in the bios and tried the SATA drivers from the Dell website but still no joy

Thanks for the reply

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Does the controller have a Compatability (mode) option in the BIOS. This was suggested as a possible solution to a similar problem I was having.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Oops forgot this one
          I found a long time ago on a PC I had to turn off DMA on the cdrom drive to install an OS on a certain PC, can you try that maybe as well?
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
          X