Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Pro (or Vista) and Outlook

Hello,
    Lately, in the past month or so, Outlook 2003 firstly indicated it was synchronizing folders. It locked the computer. I don't know the cause, but it may be related to MS updates.
    I have looked around the Web but there is no single answer.

Consequently, I updated to MS Office 12 (2007) and everything seemed fine. Note that the computers that run XP Pro are all updated to SP3 and have all current updates installed.

At first everything worked, including Outlook. Then, again the send/receive indicator came on and nothing but the mouse worked. Hard reboot every time.

I shall, come Monday, use my TechNet Subscription to try and have MS look at this, but do any of you run Outlook and have this problem?

I reiterate, this never happened until some time in the past four weeks, and then it happens at somewhat irregular intervals but always hangs the computer. Really frustrating.

I tried Thunderbird, but it doesn't work as well as Outlook does when it behaves.

Regards,
    Paul

Re: XP Pro (or Vista) and Outlook

Hello,
    This may be strange, but I have not, after the last freeze up, started Firefox RC2, which I have heard has memory leaks.
    So far, Outlook has worked: I have had it running constantly and it has not, so far, stalled.
    If Firefox is the culprit, then Mozilla should be advised.
    I shall wait until tomorrow, when the working week begins again, to check the status of this machine.
    For instance, this morning, with Firefox and Outlook and other programmes running, things became unusable. I had to use a hard reboot, twice, to make the Dell fully functional once more.
    I have, as mentioned, allowed myself today to only use IE 7, which has its own problems, but so far so good.
    Regards,
    Paul

Comment

Well, it's easy enough to find out if you have memory leaks in Firefox; take a look at the processes tab in task manager. I often tend to close windows that I have finished with for now anyway so I don't see memory leak problems; but a lot of people keep their browser open all day. Keep an eye on the memory usage of Firefox and if it never stops climbing there's your culprit.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Hello,
        Well, it would be easy enough normally to find usage, but when the machine locks up, and only the mouse works, that is not possible.
        So, when the machine is working normally, one does look, but of course one finds nothing wrong.
        Given that Outlook is a memory hog, too, I feel that anything else that competes combines to screw the pooch.
        Regards,
        Paul

Comment

But memory leaks don't occur instantly, and you should look at the memory usage column for firefox.exe over a long period of time. If it climbs all the time, kill the process/close firefox and start it again. This should prevent your issue recurring - and then if it does you'll know that that's your issue. If it doesn't keep climbing, or if using this technique does not resolve your issue, then you have further investigation to carry out...

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

Hello,
            I don't know what is wrong with this computer: the damned thing is totally locked with a send/receive of Outlook obvious on the task bar, bottom right.
            The mouse has seized this time.
            Why, when I have seen so many complaints around the web on this very flaw, can Microsoft allow one's computers to become totally inoperable? Of course, this is the day after this month's update installation, mainly security based.
            Having to hard reboot periodically is ridiculous.
            And, to further the situation, Firefox was _not_ running in this instance.

Dell Precision 650, latest BIOS
            4GB ECC PC3200 RAM
            5 10k U320 hard drives on LSI cards/onboard and PCI.
            XP Pro SP3 and _all_ updates.
            Office 2007, plus _all_ updates.
            At time of seizure: MS Outlook, Access, FrontPage, Excel, IE running. If one can't multi-task, what use is the computer?

Regards,
            Paul

Comment

Are you using an exchange server?

(the following may or maynot be useful for trouble shooting)
              If you suspect it is when outlook is sending/receiving check to see it's connections

hold [ctrl] and open the context menu of Outlook Icon in the notification area of the taskbar (right side, near the clock). Select "Connection Status" this will show you Outlooks current connections.

TCPView http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/s.../bb897437.aspx is also good for showing current connections.

In regards to your system freezing I have had a few systems here freeze up on me while outlook was running. I found the problem to be the NIC or other hardware fault.

If possible you could try using a different NIC, maybe as a temporary solution use a USB to Ethernet adaptor.

Hope this helps in some way

Richard
              We can't direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails

Comment

Hello,
                Have been using the TCPView Sysinternals applet. Interesting, but the Outlook behemoth has not seized since.
                The NICs in the machine have given no trouble, and I don't use Exchange for this network.
                Outlook seems to be picky, because sometimes it will open an email immediately, and then stall on others. No information shown determines why/why not.
                Thanks for your information.
                Paul

Comment

Hello,
                  I opened a support ticket with Microsoft: after having the techie in India control my computer for a while, we determined that I could under Tools, Trust Center open the Add-ins. This for the first time for me: it had stuck on this push button every other time I had tried: I thought that that indicated there were no such things active.
                  We cleared every check mark, shut down Outlook 2007 and re-opened it. Then we had to clear the 'Exchange views' in Add-ins again.
                  After checking the drivers for the NICs in the machine, we found that there was no recent driver for the 3Com NIC I use for Internet connections.
                  I, this afternoon, went and bought a new NIC. This was installed and I went through MS Updates, Custom whereupon it installed the latest Realtek driver.
                  So far, it looks as though Outlook has been cured: I shall run it for a few days without shutting it down to determine the truth of the matter.

The techie advised me that most of the problems with Outlook, because it is picky and dependent on graphics, arise because it needs a good NIC driver. This has, for his department, been the major cure for seizing problems/send and receive, etc.
                  Regards,
                  Paul

Comment

Hello,
                    Yesterday, I opened Outlook from its minimized state and it froze. That required a hard reboot. Firefox stated it was not responding, and the mouse changed to a vertical bar when hovering over the taskbar.

Today, Outlook was working when I maximized it this morning, and is still working. Why? Perhaps it is because I did not leave Firefox on.

Now, this is purely guessing, because when I have this problem, I cannot check to see what else was going on, but I will not run Firefox constantly, and determine if the concurrent use is the culprit. That will take time.

IE 7 ran overnight, but Outlook was not affected. Note that whilst writing this, Firefox, and this is version 3, will stumble and I have to wait until this thread page becomes active once more. That does not happen with IE.

Regards,
                    Paul

Comment

FF3 is not yet stable; I would suggest reverting to the latest version of 2 - 2.0.0.14.

Thanks for posting back so much detail about your investigation of this problem - it will I have no doubt help people in the future. Keep doing it - it sounds like you have a way to go yet!

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by dickins_paul View Post
                        Hello,
                        This may be strange, but I have not, after the last freeze up, started Firefox RC2, which I have heard has memory leaks.
                        Paul
                        Its RC2, which means still not fully OK, just submit your thoghts to mozilla and they will appreciate it

Comment

Hello,
                          Another hard reboot day.
                          Outlook opened when clicked this morning, started to open the emails that had arrived overnight and then slowed down. It would not open the graphics on an NYT (New York Times) daily email, or on their weekly Books email.

Nothing on the task or application bar would open, neither would anything on the desktop. Mouse could be moved around but couldn't do anything. Three-fingered salute failed to complete. I saw that an unresponsive IE7 had opened but had not reached its home page and remained that way.

Another three-fingered salute left the computer bare faced for over an hour, nothing whatsoever arrived.

Button pressing time.

Then, when the computer, Monmouth (one of the two Dell Precision 650 computers here) was up Outlook started fine, but did not seemingly require a pst check. This is strange, since every other hard reboot has resulted in Outlook checking the file for errors.

I had emailed the MS support team (they provide email addresses after chatting to you in a follow-up message), and related to them that a Petri Outlook reference page has proved useful (the one on Outlook hanging), but the problems with this important programme have not disappeared. MS techies in India actually phoned back shortly after receiving my email, but I was rather busy, it being late Friday afternoon, and I will probably chat with them on Monday next.

I think that I shall leave Firefox 3 RC2 on this machine: it's true that it does work on every other computer with no problems at all, even when left active 24/7, and even on my domain controllers, which I am loathe to misuse.

If Outlook has so many problems, I think that MS should be aware of every glitch, and although Outlook 2007 was locking every day it does now work for a little longer now, with caveats. I believe that they are interested enough, and this is a valid support incident (coming with my TechNet Subscription), to feel that they will help me further along.
                          Regards,
                          Paul

Images, etc., here http://mattoid.com/data/Life/TimeLin..._line_2008.htm

Comment

Hello,
                            This is strange, the programme is working, and has done for almost two days now. Also, other programmes, including Firefox, seem to be more responsive.

Firstly, one thing about MS updates is that one has to be an administrator; and the updates often turn that to debugger status. That occurred on my white box test machine during the previous update Tuesday (XP Pro SP3 like the Precision).

Given that had happened, I checked the permissions on the C drive on the Dell, and discovered that they were a set of letters and numbers, indicating another user. I have seen this many times before.

I removed those and set permissions for two administrator types.

Immediately thereafter, Outlook 2007 ran quicker, and whilst slow on graphic download compared to Outlook 2003 and earlier, has not failed again.

Sometimes the simplest thing? Not that I am totally sure of it just yet.
                            Regards,
                            Paul
                            Last edited by dickins_paul; 23rd June 2008, 11:59. Reason: grammatical error

Comment

Paul,

How big is your PST file?

Comment

Working...
                              X