Can't install MSI extention files

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't install MSI extention files

I seeking help in troubleshooting a problem I'm having installing downloaded programs that reference msi extention files. I've had this problem with various software downloads which eliminates the software as the problem.
    My operating system is XP sp3. I understand the windows installer is upgraded in sp3 but my trouble started before I installed sp3.
    Of recent, I attempted to reinstall quicktime for windows and I got ...Error reading from file c:\{path}\quicktime.msi. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it. There is no error code number to reference. Being this is my home pc, I'm the administrator and the file does exist in the path as is outlined in the error pop-up. Additionally, I can see msiexec.exe is in the c:\windows\system32 folder and I followed the registry key, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\MSIServer to see the value data box of the ImagePath is c:\Windows\System32\Msiexec.exe /V as it should be. I also followed all of the directions as is directed in microsoft's knowledgebase article 907749. The only thing different was this article is over a year old and sp3 which I recently downloaded, contains an updated version from the windows installer 3.1 that this article references. Nevertheless, after following all directions in article 907749, and reinstalling sp3, I haven't resolved the problem. I've attempted to make use of restore points but it hasn't changed anything. I've used registry fixes but they haven't made any difference. I did note only one other post that was similar to my own but what solved his problem(a space error) doesn't seem to fit my case. Just looking for a little direction.

Re: Can't install MSI extention files

Have you tried installing a standard .exe setup file?

Comment

Sure, I've installed other programs that didn't need to access msi extention files for set up and they were exe files.

Comment

Maybe your MSI file itself is damaged or corrupted.

Comment

I had reinstalled msi installer and saw no change.

Comment

This problem can be solved, but you will give yourself a headache, because many issues might cause this to happen, and tracking every single is going to be the hard way. Take the easy way, and install a new windows, and stay away from SP3, and stick with SP2, because it's much better.

Comment

Originally posted by John2008 View Post
              This problem can be solved, but you will give yourself a headache, because many issues might cause this to happen, and tracking every single is going to be the hard way. Take the easy way, and install a new windows, and stay away from SP3, and stick with SP2, because it's much better.
              Do tyou have anything to backup this statement??

I've been running SP3 for over a month now with no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                Do tyou have anything to backup this statement??

I've been running SP3 for over a month now with no issues.
                I am saying that from a previous experience.
                Check this out also: Windows Xp SP3 problems

Comment

Ugh! A reinstall of windows was what I was attempting to avoid, of course, but I could understand it might be more practical. I think I want to hang a bit longer and attempt some other possible remedies first. As for sp3, I don't know. My problems did originate before sp3 so I know they aren't the reason, but I probably should research sp3 feedback if I do reinstall windows.

Comment

What are the security permissions on the .msi files themselves? Are you running them from a folder that you modified the permissions on? (Basically, does the SYSTEM have full control of the file?)
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

How best to determine if the system has full control of the file?

Comment

Right-click -> Properties -> Security tab

Click image for larger version

Name:	secProp.png
Views:	1
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	463593

Make sure SYSTEM is listed and it has full control. This is the default but you want to just make sure.
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

When I right click on the msi file in question and click properties, security isn't an option. I have general, signature guarantees, custom, and summary.

Comment

Sorry, I didn't see the lower half of your post. I'll look where you're highlighting.

Comment

After right clicking on my installer folder for properties, I am limited to general, sharing, and customize.

Comment

Working...
                              X