• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search & Print window does not appear when launched <> XP SP2

Hello,

I have a rather unique issue.

System: XP SP2, IE 6.0, HP DSC7600 box.

When I launch the Files and Folders Search windows via any method, it does not appear. I've tried launching from Start Menu, Windows Explorer, Right Clicking on the C:\ under My Computer etc. It just does not appear. There are no error messages. There is no activity of any kind after launching.

IE 6: The Find box does not launch via CTRL+F or through Edit > Find - Charactics of this issue are exactly the same as the above issue. There is no activity and no errors.

IE 6: The Print window does not launch in IE. No Print window is launched by going to File > Print or by Right-Clicking the web page and then choosing Print. Nothing is sent to the printer when Printer icon is clicked on the toolbar. I am able to access the printers via Start Menu and interact with the printers, such and queue jobs deletion and able to print the standard default print page. Printing outside in other application is fine.

I've tried hitting the web but did not find anything useful. I am basically unable to search in Windows and IE and also can't print in IE

Please give me your ideas.

Thanks!

Re: Search &amp; Print window does not appear when launched &lt;&gt; XP SP2

That sounds to me like one of two possibilities:
    1. Malware
    2. Some type of OS corruption

However, before we get into the possible fixes, let me ask a few questions:
    • When did this start?
    • What events surrounded the start of this behaviour?
    • What do you suspect is the problem?
    • How long has it been going on?

First, check the possibility of malware. Use the Triad: Ad-Aware SE Personal, SpyBot S&D, and HijackThis. If this is a case of malware, you might not be able to run those programs. Try to do so in Safe Mode. If you're technically savvy enough, download a Linux Live CD with ClamAV on it, boot from the CD and scan your HD. While you're at it, delete your system restore points.

If this is some kind of odd system corruption, simply do a Windows Repair Installation with your original XP discs. Take a look at this to find out how.

Let us know what happens.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

When did this start?
      Very recent, day or two.

What events surrounded the start of this behaviour?

No specific or special events surrounded this behavious in particular. Only thing that I can think of is the AV DEF push over the network through Tivoli. I can't say that the issue started right after, as I don't know for sure.

What do you suspect is the problem?

It may have something to do with the push, but I don't suspect it heavily as no one else on the domain has complained. There is a very slight possibility of a joke by fellow co-workers, but I find it hard to believe.

How long has it been going on?
      Very recent, day or two.

First, check the possibility of malware. Use the Triad: Ad-Aware SE Personal, SpyBot S&D, and HijackThis. If this is a case of malware, you might not be able to run those programs. Try to do so in Safe Mode. If you're technically savvy enough, download a Linux Live CD with ClamAV on it, boot from the CD and scan your HD. While you're at it, delete your system restore points.

This is a corporate workstation and heavily fortified so the possibility of Malware is IMO, limited. I haven't seen any other erratic behaviour. Rules won't allow me to install the above SW, eventhough I am in IT unless I just don't tell anyone. That will also eliminate the possibility of using Linux CD as we are not supposed to play around with systems with stuff that's not already on the books so to speak

Is it possible to delete system restore points w/o OS/Linux repair cds?

I can rename my local XP profile, that will likely fix it, but then I wouldn't know what the issue is!!!

Any other ideas anyone?

Comment

try
        cmd /c regsvr32 /i shell32.dll && regsvr32 /i shdocvw.dll

may help you

Comment

Hi,

Could you please tell me what is this command doing?

-Thx

Originally posted by Gökşen View Post
          try
          cmd /c regsvr32 /i shell32.dll && regsvr32 /i shdocvw.dll

may help you

Comment

I think maybe registry damaged this will repair it but I am not sure that will solve problem

Comment

The above command did not resolve it.

I basically restored the system from two weeks ago using XP restore points.

Works fine now!

Comment

Nice job! I always overlook system restore points. Of course, the symptoms sounded so much like some kind of malware that I might have been tempted to dump them.

Be glad you're not me.
                Wesley David
                LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                -------------------------------
                Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Working...
                X