No announcement yet.

How to restore Computers Near Me icon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to restore Computers Near Me icon?

I accidently deleted my Computers Near Me icon in Network Neighborhood. How can I get it back? I am running Windows XP Pro in a workgroup.

Your silence suggests that the problem has been solved. I'll mention it anyway.

Right click in the desktop, click properties.
    This opens the display properties!
    Click the tab named "Desktop", thats the second tab from the left.
    Click Customize Desktop button. Tick My Network Places.
    Click OK
    Click OK at the Display Properties window.
    You'll see the missing icon on the Desktop.

Comment

Maybe you misunderstood what my dilemna is? I am not having trouble with the Network Neighborhood icon on my desktop.

I deleted the Computers Near Me within the Network Neighborhood folder...

Comment

Micro$oft doesn't use the term "Network Neighborhood" in WIndows XP Pro. Instead it uses "My Network Places".
        I'm confused by what you are saying.
        If your network is working fine you might be talking about the missing cached share names in the My Network Places. The share names will be recreated when you access them. You can access them going thru Entire Network==> Micorsoft Windows Network and then the workgroup and so on.
        Sometimes computes and shares are not listed in "My Network Places" due to Master Browser related issue. You can right click the "My Network Icon" in the desktop and search for computers. When you browse them and access the shares, the share names will automatically cached in the "My Network Places".

Make sure network is working fine, TCP/IP, Client for Micorsoft Networks File and Printer sharing are installed. This should recreate any missing network related objects.

Comment

Originally posted by thenetwerx
          Maybe you misunderstood what my dilemna is? I am not having trouble with the Network Neighborhood icon on my desktop.

I deleted the Computers Near Me within the Network Neighborhood folder...
          The answer given would work. We need more details if this isn't what you want.
          Server 2000 MCP
          Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Sorry for any confusion...

My problem is that the icon for "Computers Near Me" in the "My Network Places" folder was deleted.

How do I get it back?

Comment

If I can remember well, "Computers Near Me" is Windows 2000 related term. Are you sure that you're running Windows XP

Comment

I agree, ive had a look on my XP pc and i cant see it.
                Server 2000 MCP
                Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

It is definitely an XP Pro item in My Network Places. I have two machines with this problem...

Comment

Ok, now that you are sure that you have Windows XP.
                    There is no so called "Computers Near Me" icon in Windowx XP. Thats why you can't see it nor get it back. Now thats exactly is your solution or maybe problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X