Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copy folder from a non domain computer and paste it onto network.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy folder from a non domain computer and paste it onto network.

I have a Windows XP computer that is connected to a particular machine that collects information. My problem is that they would like to save the database folder from that computer and paste it onto the network but the computer is not on our domain because of various reasons but it has internet connection. My plans is to run a dos command that will copy that folder and paste it onto the network using the Administrator password, by doing this I feel its not the safest way. Does anyone know a safer way?

Re: Copy folder from a non domain computer and paste it onto network.

Hi, Shazam.
    Your post is not clear enough:
    - what OS are the two machines?
    - what type of AD do you have?
    - are the two computers on the same LAN/subnet?
    - is this a one-time process, or something that repeats itself?

Please provide the information, so we'll be able to build a better picture of what you want to achieve.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Thanks for replying sorinso. Sorry about that.

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
      Hi, Shazam.
      Your post is not clear enough:
      - what OS are the two machines?
      The computer is Windows XP and is connect to a machine that measure the weight of the metal it is not a computer.

- what type of AD do you have?
      Windows 2000

- are the two computers on the same LAN/subnet?
      Yes. The computer is on the same LAN/Subnet

- is this a one-time process, or something that repeats itself?
      Yes. This will be a daily proccess.

Comment

I still don't get it (excuse me, night be the long working hours).
        You want to transfer files from a machine tht is not a computer to an XP station?
        Does the machine has a command line interface? What commands does it support? FTP, for instance?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

I still don't get it (excuse me, night be the long working hours).
          You want to transfer files from a machine tht is not a computer to an XP station?
          Does the machine has a command line interface? What commands does it support? FTP, for instance?
          No problem sorinso.

The machine is directly connected to a Windows XP computer that is not setup on our domain.

Here is a link to give you a better visual sense.

http://www.leco.com/products/inorgan...a/gds_500a.htm

The computer collects the data from the machine and would like to run a command line to copy the database folder and paste it onto our network. Because they would like to keep a backup of that data.

The problem is when I run the command line it asks a Administrative password would that be a problem? I'm assuming doing so it will have full access to our network and that I don't want because some users outside of our network remote connects to the computer.
          Last edited by Shazam; 27th May 2008, 18:36.

Comment

Oh, that...
            Now it's much clear...
            I would share the DB folder on the XP for a user with Read-Only permissions and let a machine from the domain connect to it with that user's credentials and pull the data.
            This way you don't jeopardize neither the domain nore the standalone XP. The user from XP should have minimal permissions on that machine, and only RO on that share.
            How does that sounds?

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

I'm a little new at this please accuse me.

The account user is not on the Active Directory nor the computer on the domain. If I make the database folder sharable how would I do what you suggested?

I'm sorry if I can't comprend if you can give me step by step instructions that'll be great.

Comment

Few more questions before the solution:
                - what version of XP you have installed on the standalone?
                - is the drive/partition that holds the database in NTFS file-type?

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Few more questions before the solution:
                  - what version of XP you have installed on the standalone?
                  Windows XP professional sp2

- is the drive/partition that holds the database in NTFS file-type?

I don't think just to be sure where would I check?

Comment

Go to Start -> Run and write diskmgmt.msc . Look in the File System column if it's NTFS or FAT.

I have the impression (from your posts so far) that your knowledge with XP is not that vast. Is there a possibility that you find a more experienced person around that will be able to assist you? I fear it will be very difficult to do this through the forums ...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Go to Start -> Run and write diskmgmt.msc . Look in the File System column if it's NTFS or FAT.
                      It's NTFS

I have the impression (from your posts so far) that your knowledge with XP is not that vast. Is there a possibility that you find a more experienced person around that will be able to assist you? I fear it will be very difficult to do this through the forums ...
                      No there is really anyone here could help me. But I'm not afraid of learning. If there is a link you could point me to that'll be great.

Comment

Well, I did some tests on a virtual XP machine I have here and what I planned for you is not working. As it looks at the moment, I think the best thing to do is to install on the standalone XP the FTP server and set the machine from the domain to pull the files from there.
                        A simple article regarding FTP installation can be found here: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1491 . After you finish the installation, I would do some more fine tuning.
                        Let me know when you finished installing the FTP server.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Well, I did some tests on a virtual XP machine I have here and what I planned for you is not working. As it looks at the moment, I think the best thing to do is to install on the standalone XP the FTP server and set the machine from the domain to pull the files from there.
                          A simple article regarding FTP installation can be found here: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1491 . After you finish the installation, I would do some more fine tuning.
                          Let me know when you finished installing the FTP server.

Good thinking we do have a ftp site here and your suggestion we're dropping the files there and then I use a net command line to copy the files onto the network.

Thank You very much sorinso!!

Comment

Cool, dude.
                            I am glad you solved the problem.
                            Good luck !

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                            X