Help! Need to Delete Duplicate Admin Tools Folder on Desktop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Need to Delete Duplicate Admin Tools Folder on Desktop

I accidently dragged the Admin Tools Folder from the Start/Programs. It created a duplicate folder on my desktop, only it was empty.

Now I cant delete the Folder, even though its empty. Windows is giving me the, "Needs this in order to work right" error.

Any work arounds for this? Thanks

T.RoW

It may be that the system attribute is set for the folder. Open the cmd prompt and goto your desktop and remove it using [attrib -s "administrative tools"] then try to delete it again. If you're still unsuccessful try using TweakUI - it will allow you to remove "special" icons from the desktop by unchecking them with the GUI.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Neither of them worked, but thanks for your help anyway. Like the old saying goes, "Out of sight, out of mind."

I put it in a folder and set the attributes to Hidden. Weak, but effective.

T.RoW

Comment

You still have options. Try doing it from Safe Mode Cmd Prompt only. If you're unable to do it there it will definately work from the Recovery Console.

I've actually had this happen to me. Not with Administrative Tools folder but another. I couldn't delete it but I could move it. I moved it into the Windows folder and deleted it from the Recovery Console. (You can only access the Windows directory from the Recovery Console)
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X