Moved pagefile slow, put back still slow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moved pagefile slow, put back still slow

This is a weird one, if anyone can offer any advice.

I have several Toshiba Sat Pro A200 laptops running XP & is connected to a domain.

If the pagefile is on C: where it was when XP was originally set to, then from turn on to pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL its 45 seconds.

If I move the page file to D: then it take 2min 35 seconds. The only change been where the pagefile is.

If I then put the pagefile back onto C: with the same settings its still 2mins 35seconds.

If I restore an image of c: where the pagefile was never moved, it 45 seconds again.

I've use diskeeper to defrag the pagefile, etc - but no improvement.

To confuse matters worse, if I disconnect from the network, the time to CTRL+ALT+DEL is 45 seconds. I know this doesn't make sense, but the ONLY change is moving the pagefile.

Anyone any ideas ? With thanks

Re: Moved pagefile slow, put back still slow

Is D a separate physical drive or a different partition? I am assuming that you are using Windows to actually move the pagefile, so how may cold boot cycles have you tried this with?
    sigpic

Comment

I did not completely understand from your post what exactly is the problem. The boot time? Those 45 seconds? Or what?
      You are talking about
      several Toshiba Sat Pro A200 laptops
      . Whatever the problem is, does it happen on all laptops, or only on specific ones?
      What XP are you using? And what SP?
      Note: when you disconnect a computer (that is part of a domain - BTW, what kind of domain?) from the network, the logon process should be pretty long. The computer is trying to find some authority (one of the DCs, for example) for the logon process (credentials, policies of any kind, roaming profile, folder redirection and so on) and when it does not find, it logs you on with the cached credentials and cached policy (if any). So, 45 seconds for a disconnected computer is far from being
      doesn't make sense
      Please provide all the answers, so people here will be able to assist you.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
      In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -
      «««««

Comment

Sorry, Sorin, I understood the OP to mean this:

Originally posted by OP
        When joined to a Domain (or when disconnected from a domain) the boot time to login (Ctrl + Alt + Delete) is about 45 seconds.

When the pagefile is moved from the System partition / drive to another partition / drive (D: ) then the boot time to login (Ctrl + Alt + Delete) leaps to over 2 minutes....

once this change has been made, even moving the pagefile back to the System drive / partiton results in boot time to login (Ctrl + Alt + Delete) at over 2 minutes.

Only by restoring an image to the laptop HD does the boot time to login (Ctrl + Alt + Delete) go back to 45 seconds.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by johnlgalt View Post
          Sorry, Sorin, I understood the OP to mean this:
          Why sorry?
          You probably are right in your interpretation, but I chased so many false rabbits in two years in the forum, that I prefer to ask for clarifications than to assume anything...

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
          In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -
          «««««

Comment

Hi Sorry, if my post wasn't clear.

The Toshiba A200 laptops have 1 hard disk, running XP SP2.
            I have tried it on 5 identical laptops so far, with the same issue.
            Note: I reinstalled XP myself, to get rip of all the junk you get pre-installed - so I know it's a clean install.

The problem is that, if I leave the pagefile.sys on C: where XP originally made it, everything is file. From cold boot to CTRL+ALT+DEL its 45 seconds.

If I use the normal "windows" method to move the pagefile:
            ie: Turn off the pagefile on c:, reboot, recreate on d:
            Then the same cold boot to CTRL+ALT+DEL its 2mins 35 seconds

Moving the pagefile back to c: doesn't help.

BUT, if I restore the C: image back to where the pagefile was originally made on C: then its back to 45seconds.

The only thing I can think of is its where the pagefile actually is placed on the C:

The thing thats throwing me, is when I am not on a network, the log on is 45seconds.

I totally agree that when you are connecting to a network, that the logon should be longer - BUT this doesn't explain why before I move the page file, its only 45seconds.

With thanks & sorry for the confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Reynolds View Post
              Note: I reinstalled XP myself, to get rip of all the junk you get pre-installed - so I know it's a clean install.
              Brand computers are preinstalled from of a good reason. Are you sure you have the most updated drives for your system and there are no question marks in the Device Manager?
              The problem is that, if I leave the pagefile.sys on C: where XP originally made it, everything is file.
              I assume it was supposed to be "everything is fine". Then why do you say "the problem is...? 45 seconds is too long for you?
              If I use the normal "windows" method to move the pagefile:
              ie: Turn off the pagefile on c:, reboot, recreate on d:
              That is not the "normal" method. This is. Notice that there is only one Restart, at the end of the whole process. The rumors say that it is best to leave some 50MB of swap file on the C partition, to allow minidump file to be saved (in case of crash) and later analyzed for the reason of the crash.
              Then the same cold boot to CTRL+ALT+DEL its 2mins 35 seconds.
              Moving the pagefile back to c: doesn't help.
              I don't see the reason for that at the moment, but I feel I'm starting to get lost in the sea of details...
              BUT, if I restore the C: image back to where the pagefile was originally made on C: then its back to 45seconds.
              Does it surprise you? You are reverting the whole process back.
              Two more things:
              - you did not answer johnlgalt's question regarding the D:. What is it? A separate drive? Another partition on the same drive?
              - how are you restoring the image back?
              Now, if those 45 seconds are the issue and you want to know why it takes so long, there are tools and methods. But first, we have to get some order in this thread (or it is only me?) ...

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
              -
              «««««

Comment

Thank for everyones feed back.

The laptop has ONE hdd, so D: is the second partition.
                The laptop definately has the correct drivers installed.

I'll simplify the question, as this thread is getting long:

1. Setup laptop with one hdd, pagefile on C:
                2. From cold boot to CTRL+ALT+DEL for domain logon it takes 45seconds.
                3. I complete remove the c: pagefile & reboit
                4. I make a new pagefile on d: (2nd partition, of 1 hdd)
                5. Reboot
                6. Turn off, then cold boot to CTRL+ALT+DEL for domain logon it takes 2m35s

7. Complete remove the pagefile from d:, then put back onto c: (as above, with plenty of re-boots)
                8. Turn off, then cold boot to CTRL+ALT+DEL for domain logon still takes 2m35s

9. If I restore the image (using Powerquest Drive Image 2002 "dos" boot disks), where the pagefile was never moved & has always been on c: then from cold boot to CTRL+ALT+DEL for domain logon it takes 45seconds.

So my question is, why when I move the pagefile from c: to d: is there such a large boot up difference (I understand there is a little performance drop). BUT, why when I put the pagefile back onto c: is the boot up time 2m35s.

Hope this answers everyones questions - with thanks

Comment

Just skimmed the thread so some of these items may have been covered.
                  When you moved the pagefile from C to D, did you leave any pagefile on C?
                  When you move from D back to C, is the 2.35 boot time EVERY time or just the first time after the pagefile was moved back.
                  When you move the pagefile back to C, is it set to the same size and settings as before it was moved?
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi. Thanks again to everyone for you input.

In reply to biggles:

When I moved the pagefile from c to d, I didn't leave any pagefile on c

Once the pagefile has been moved back to c (and removed from d) the 2.35 boot time is everytime.

Once the pagefile is moved back to C: its exactly the same size and settings as it was originally.

The only way I can get it to boot faster, is the restore an image where the pagefile was NEVER moved.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post

Why sorry?
                      You probably are right in your interpretation, but I chased so many false rabbits in two years in the forum, that I prefer to ask for clarifications than to assume anything...
                      Actually, that is precisely why I said sorry - because I made the assumption rather than asking, which is what I normally do for clarification purposes...

@NJReynolds - Have you tried using nLite to modify where the pagefile is set in the first place? If you can set it so that the pagefile is created by the system on the second partition, then it might solve your problems....

Of course, I am assuming again - so let me ask this - do you 8want* to have the pagefile on D:, or is this something that you were just playing around with and noticed the discrepancy in boot times after moving the page file.
                      sigpic

Comment

At this point, I would suggest you read this awesome article (no, I do not know the author (to be read with the same intonation Clinton said: "I did not have...") ) regarding best practices in pagefile optimization. You will notice that one of the tips is to move the pagefile to another disk, not to another partition on the same disk that holds the boot and system. Moving it to another partition will only affect negatively the overall performance of the system.
                        One reason you get 2.35 boot time might be that the pagefile is fragmented, given the fact that you created it on an partition that already holds data. One thing you can do is try to defrag it with PageDefrag, and see if there's any difference.
                        As I see it at the moment, I would leave it as it is at the beginning.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                        -
                        «««««

Comment

Hi All

Johnlgalt - I haven't tried nlite, as the laptops are now all installed, but thanks will look into it next time.

Sorinso - thanks for your continuing help.
                          PageDefrag, didn't seem to help, but good to know about.

I'm fine to leave the pagefile on C: since its the best place to put it.
                          And I can make these laptops work, by never moving the pagefile off c in the first place.
                          But, I have another 100 laptops, where the pagefile is on D: and if its the same as the new laptops I have (where if I move, then put back the pagefile, its slow log on forever), then it's not going to help moving the pagefile back to c:

So, I'm trying the understand whats going on now, so I can fix the other 100 laptops.

Thanks again

Comment

Why do you want to move the pagefiles to another partition on the same disk anyway???

To me its just a false economy. You won't gain ANY perfromance increase by doing this. Well not in my opinion anyway.

Comment

Hi everyone.

I have (accidentally) found the problem.

It was DISKEEPER 2007. I didn’t mention that this was installed, as it wasn’t doing anything (no schedules, no automatic, no I-Fast) – so in theory Diskeeper should not of been doing anything.

I tested it with Diskeeper 10 (older version) and a trial of the new 2008 version and it was completely fine.

Thanks again for everyones help on this.

Comment

Working...
                              X