Network Drive is lost when logging into local machine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network Drive is lost when logging into local machine

First post here so I'll try to be as detailed as possible about the issue and let me know if there is something I miss or should add in future posts please.

Here's my issue and it's a weird one.

I have a user (only happening to one right now) that when he logs into our Domain he has his drives mapped properly (H, Q & R). Then he takes his machine on the road and everytime he logs into the machine (still choosing to log into the Domain as opposed to the local machine) he retain the mapping for his Q & R drives, but loses the mapping for his H drive.

He can then connect to the internet and the VPN and map a network drive without issue but this is getting pretty tedious for him to do.

His machine is a Windows XP SP2 logging into a Windows 2003 Standard Domain. I have tried doing the Offline Synchronization and it annoyed him because it kept telling him he was "Offline" even though he was connected to the network.

I have tried making the map persistent by checking the box as well as using the cmd prompt to do it. Both work for 1 reboot then upon the 2nd time you log into the machine, the H drive is gone again.

I have checked permissions on his profile folder as well as his user folder (which is his H Drive) and he full control over it, with the Administrator being the owner.

Can anyone think of anything that I can do to fix this issue?

Any help is appreciated.

New information.

I tried using the Cisco VPN client to prompt the user to connect to the vpn before he logs into the machine, however the current issue is that the Verizon Wireless card doesn't allow anyone to connect to their network until they log into the machine.

So that thought is a bust.

I have also tried to duplicate this issue on a different machine and I am successful in duplicating the issue; so I know it isn't a problem with his machine; more so his profile.

Thanks for the help and hope someone has some good insight on this issue.
    Last edited by Arioch; 16th May 2008, 19:27. Reason: More information to add to the issue.

Re: Network Drive is lost when logging into local machine

Is there a script that maps the drives at logon?

If so you might want to check it. I've seen many a script that will first delete a mapping and then recreate it just so they make sure it's mapped to the proper place.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Is the "H" drive his home drive that has been set using ADUC????

If yes then this isn't a persistent drive so won't be there when he logs in.

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
        Is there a script that maps the drives at logon?

If so you might want to check it. I've seen many a script that will first delete a mapping and then recreate it just so they make sure it's mapped to the proper place.
        Thanks for the reply.

Yes, this is a drive that is mapped during a logon script.

Yes, there WAS a section where we deleted ALL drive mappings and remapped them as we saw fit; but I REM'd that section out.

The script didn't have a /PERSISTENT:yes behind the H drive, but it did after I REM'd the portion and neither have taken effect or at least resolved the issue so far.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          Is the "H" drive his home drive that has been set using ADUC????

If yes then this isn't a persistent drive so won't be there when he logs in.
          His account properties in Active Directory Users & Computers (if that's ADUC) is connecting his "Home Folder" as follows:

Connect H: To: \\ServerName\users\Name of User

and we are mapping it in the logon script.

My question is, why is he the only one NOT getting his H drive when he logs into his machine off the network.

No one else ou of our traveling users are having this issue.

It could be that no one else is complaining about it though. I'm testing another "test" account now. Logged into the Domain, turned of Offline Synch and restarted the machine.

Then unpluged the network cable and will see what happens.

IF this is the issue, should I change ADUC and not map a "Home Folder" and let the script do it?

Thanks for your imput, I appreciate it.

FOLLOW-UP

I logged into the system as the test account on the domain and everything mapped properly after I changed the ADUC account to "Local Folder" and left it blank. That way, the login script would take over and map the H drive.

I then logged off the machine and disconnected the network cable and after logging into the machine several times, the H was still mapped.

I'll test that with user that's reporting the issue when he gets back into town by the end of the week.

Thanks again for the help, I was really pretty stumped with this since it was working and then all of a sudden it stopped.
          Last edited by Arioch; 20th May 2008, 15:53. Reason: Updated Information

Comment

Working...
          X