Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows xp SP2 sound not working

Hello friends.
    I have installed windows xp sp2 but the sound device is not working. Wid win vista it was working perfectly fine. after installing win xp sp2 I installed all the drivers including sound drivers but I can not hear any sound. in device manager it says the device is working properly. when I check in device manger in sound settings every option is grayed out. but when I click on alteck icon in the taskbar I can hear sound. I have installed wind xp sp2 twice wid two diffrent CD's and it is not helping at all.
    Please help me sort it out...!!!!

Re: Windows xp SP2 sound not working

I forgot to mention ..I am using Intel d945GCNL and the processor is core 2 duo 2.2 Ghz..
    PLEASE HELP ME OUTA IT...IT'S REALLY GETTING ME CRAZY..!!!

Comment

Have you downloaded the XP drivers for it? http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filt...4&submit=Go%21

PS, what's with the Poll?
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by ravi.tejpal View Post
        I forgot to mention ..I am using Intel d945GCNL and the processor is core 2 duo 2.2 Ghz..
        PLEASE HELP ME OUTA IT...IT'S REALLY GETTING ME CRAZY..!!!
        Please, no shouting!!!
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes, have downloaded and installed the drivers from there too..but its still not working....!!

Comment

Have you tried installing it manually via device manager rather than running the exe that comes with the drivers?

Comment

I tried to un-install the Sound drivers from the device manager and after I re-instaleld them from the CD or using the link provided by JeremyW..I have seen there is a yello exclamation mark in the device manager...when I tried to update the drivers from the device manager nothing is happenign the 'update drivers' trigger is not working at all but I can still hear the sound when I click on alteck icon in the task bar...in the task bar when I double click on the alteck icon it opens an "sound manager" and when I click on test sound in that "sound manager" I can hear the test sound from my speakers...

Comment

Can you remove the Altek software?
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                  Can you remove the Altek software?

Its not a software..its an application that gets installed when I installed soud drivers...yes the alteck drivers (sound drivers) are showing up in the device manager..and when I tried to install them back again from the CD, drivers failed to install..

Comment

guys in this forum also facing the same issue. do I need to re-install windows xp sp2 once again or is there any patch available...????
                    http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68810

Comment

stop!think!

1>if your getting test sounds then the basic sound infrastructure is working ok
                      2>installing vista drivers on xp will muck stuff up
                      3>do a full uninstall of all sound drivers and apps, including regedit and ghosty drivers in safe mode

when your sure all dll's, inf's etc have been removed, install the xp drivers remembering to restart before and after

(with xp make sure you use the install exe as windows no longer likes sound installs from inf's alone)

Comment

Thanks SML..I will try that and will get back to you...

Comment

Okay here are the results..
                          >>Unable to un-install the drivers from the safe mode getting errror message: "Failed to un-install the device may be required to boot up the computer".
                          >>unable to remove the registry entreis in the safe mode getting error message while deleting :unable to delete all specified values".
                          >>realtek audio definition drivers nt appearing in the add remove program in the control panel neither in safe modeor normal mode.
                          There is still an xclamationi mark in the device manager.
                          still unable to play any sound and altek icon is no more now in the task-bar.
                          Any suggestions will be highly appriciated now..????

Comment

!obviously! careful with the registry edits, but if you right click and go to permissions you can give yourself the permission - then delete it

after that id install sp3 and then the xp drivers(make sure theyre the most up dated from the manufacturer, sometimes they have uninstall progs on their site eg intel)

(can you remove the sound card or disable it on the motherboard as this forces windows to let go of the device, thus unlocking the driver files)

(if you can disable on board as a outside chance, install a creative compatible pci soundcard and let windows rebuild the sound structure - then remove the card only and try again)

(may also be worth considering backing up all your docs and doing a clean install - keep an eye on the clock - if the little hand starts moving quickly, give up and try it from a clean start)

Comment

Thank you SML for the suggestion.
                              I think I should go for Clean installation now as the sound card is integrated one and there is no option in BIOS to disable it. I have done Clean installation before and now it seems like i have do that for the 3rd time.
                              Seems like Intel did not test the drivers on WIn XP SP2....disappointed from Intel....
                              Hoping I will be able to resolve the issue using the suggestion from other forum..
                              Last edited by ravi.tejpal; 16th May 2008, 14:42.

Comment

Working...
                              X