Win2k & Printer issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2k & Printer issue

For whatever reason we have Windows 2000 machines that just lose all of their printers. Doesn't matter if they are local or network....they are just gone.

Brand name doesn't matter...we've had HP and Xerox do it alike.

When you go to print, says there are no printers detected.

When you go to add a printer it says no available resources.

I have NO idea why this is happening and haven't found much on the net.

All software and drivers have been loaded to each machine. From what I can tell....it's completely random.

Ideas?

Re: Win2k & Printer issue

What is the status of the Print Spooler? Started, Stopped? Is it set to Automatic?
    Anything logged in the Event Viewer?

(Moved to Windows 2000 Forum.)
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Sorry for the delay.

Just had another one and it was set to automatic. Didn't see anything in the event viewer.

Comment

I noticed that you said that it does not matter if they are local or network, but I hae a Laser printer at home that is 'technically' seen as a local printer but in effect is a network printer....

Does this include printers hooked up locally by a physical printer cable, or are all the ones being lost using other ports from LPT1: ?
        sigpic

Comment

I would look to see if spool services are running automatically or manually.
          Printer spool services can interfere with printer operations.
          spoolsv.exe can sometimes crash and render operations awry.

-Also remove all traces of any previously installed printers, and then reinstall them again.
          If any printer eg HP has since had an update patch, for a known issue, get the update.

Good luck.

Comment

Post #3 said
            Just had another one and it was set to automatic. Didn't see anything in the event viewer.
            so I am assuming that that was what the OP looked at - I, OTOH wonder if any of these dropped printers are actually local printers physically attached via printer cables as opposed to USB / wireless / TCP/IP ports....
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X