Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Activation Fails for Dell oem XP

Yes, you guys are my last hope! My presarios motherboard had a meltdown
    so i took all the hardware and cards memory etc. and put them in a older puter
    I had, I kept all 4 dell cds. One is for installing xp. when it installs it installs the product key automatically.when i activated my xp over the phone they changed the cd key. Now after doing re install they say my numbers dont match. i know im the only user and i have the original cd. so do you know why i could be having this problem?? thank you for any and all help....dona

Re: Activation Fails for Dell oem XP

Dell CD... Compaq Presario Computer...
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

To elaborate...
      Dell installation CDs are tied to Dell hardware, particularly the Motherboard.
      You had a Compaq PC, now a 3rd party one, so not surprisingly the Dell CD will not work.

Since OEM licenses are tied to particular hardware, I'm afraid you will need to buy a copy of Windows XP, unless you talk very nicely to MS, who might (if its a good day -- and remembering that, thanks to Yahoo they have $45 billion going spare this morning) activate your copy.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

God I guess this has gotten to me!! sSorry i was working on a presario and i guess it was on my mind. my computer was a dimension not a presario. the cd worked on my used motherboard and was activated but they gave me new id numbers (if that makes a difference)with no problems until i did a reinstall and called to activate it. dona

Comment

It is still tied to a Dell motherboard, and if your older computer is not a Dell, then you're out of luck. Even if it is a Dell, if it is not the same motherboard, then you may still be out of luck (barring, of course, that phone call to M$ that Ossian mentioned.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X