Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Get File Properties Tabs from CMD prompt?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get File Properties Tabs from CMD prompt?

Does anyone know of a way to get the file/folder properties page from a cmd prompt as though you have just gone and right-clicked the file/folder in the gui?

The reason I ask is because I may have a user logged in and need to look at the file/folder properties (specifically the ntfs permissions) and because they are logged in as a user account and have no access to the folder they cannot even see the security tab of the properties box.

So I need a way from the command prompt to open the properties box of a file/folder (as I have done a runas to get an admin prompt inside their user gui session). Looking at security settings in a cmd program may also be of some interest if anyone knows that either...

Re: Get File Properties Tabs from CMD prompt?

have you tried google?
    ________
    Volcano Classic Vaporizer
    Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:39.
    Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

thanks I didn't know google existed....

Comment

http://www.google.ie/search?q=file+a...ermissions+cmd
        now that you know about it...
        ________
        Triumph Trident T150
        Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:39.
        Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

I already know about cacls and use it regularly for setting permission. What I recently realised is that it can be used to display as well as set perms if no opts are given...

I tend not to use xcacls since it's not shipped by default..

I'd still really like to know if there is any way of getting up the file properties box from a cmd prompt. I can get some other gui things up from cmd but this one eludes me...

Comment

You will need to use RUNDLL32.EXE to run a DLL entry point with parameters. Which DLL it might be and what parameters it takes I have no idea; but that's how Windows does it. Look in the registry in the HKLM\Classes key to see what Windows does with the file when you right-click it and select properties.

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

thanks for that great tip!

I might do that at some point a bit of effort though, I think it would be better to batch this and then run the batch from the admin prompt since it'll probably be awkward to do every time I want to use this.

Comment

Working...
              X