Windows XP Volume Shadow Copy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP Volume Shadow Copy

I have used and configured Volume Shadow Copy at work on my servers, but now I'd like to use it at home on my Windows XP Sp2 desktop and it occurs to me that the tabs aren't there. I've noted this before but now I figure I should pursue this to it's conclusion.

I know that XP Sp2 has VSS, and I've seen the services, even started them to see if that would make any difference, but I still have no Shadow Copies tab in the root drive properties box on any drive letter, which is where it is on my W2K3 servers...

Can anybody tell me decisively why this is? If it has the services then why can I not configure Shadow Copies on my XP Workstation? Is it only there to provide consistent backup to 3rd party programs?

That would seem unnecessarily restrictive when there is no real need...

Re: Windows XP Volume Shadow Copy

Its the Volume Shadow Copy Client.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

The previous versions tab you see on your XP machine at work is only because the data resides on Server 2003. There is no equivalent in XP standalone. Vista standalone however does have that function.

The shadow copy service you see in XP is for third party apps to access the underlying data while the file is in use. There is no Windows interface to access that data, nor to set it up.

See here for more, post back if you need more clarification.
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

This is what I thought. So M$ have denied this feature to XP.... and didn't open the ability to use Shadow Copy on local XP drives.

This is a shame. No plans to go to vista, especially not just for this...

Comment

It wasn't denied, it was new technology.
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

yes yes of course, but they could have given it in a service pack... I'm sure this was out before Sp2, evidently since XP has the services and client.

-h

Comment

I believe the services are the client. Vista brings in the new technology as part of the system protection. I guess either it wasn't possible to add it to XP or, probably more likely, more financially viable to put the effort into the new OS implementation.
              cheers
              Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

That, and they're struggling to get anybody to want to upgrade... there isn't enough incentive, especially if they backport features into XP....

Forced oem sales are pretty much the only thing pushing vista sales as far as I can tell, but I digress.

So XP doesn't have VSS for local drives, only the client.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X