Account Status Has Altered

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Account Status Has Altered

im using xp pro,and i am the only user on this pc,so no passwords used and it logs me straight in.however 2 days ago i tried to install a programme and it said didnt have the authority-i checked my user accounts and i have been changed from admin to guest/debugger.

i have since set up a admin account by going into safe mode and firing up xps built in admin.i then wanted to change this debugger account to admin but on entering user accounts it simply isnt listed? i know its here because windows boots up into it automatically so any ideas how i can track it down to alter its status.

thanks

Re: Account Status Has Altered

Are you in Workgroup or AD?
    Have you done anything in the past days that could have trigger that change?
    Have you checked the Event log for anything related to this anomaly?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

sorinso,
      its a standalone pc,only thing i have done is past 2 days is change jumper settings on m/b and try to configure network card for ethernet cable-

ok in event log there are a lot of errors in system tab....but not really sure what im looking for to be honest.

maybe feed me a few pointers and i can check-but to many to mention in this post.

Comment

The Security Event log is the important one. You should look for any change to the specific account.
        In what tool you weren't able to see your username? Does it show in Administrative tools -> Computer Management -> Local Users and Groups -> Users?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
          The Security Event log is the important one. You should look for any change to the specific account.
          In what tool you weren't able to see your username? Does it show in Administrative tools -> Computer Management -> Local Users and Groups -> Users?
          yup shows up in there,but you cant change its status from there can you.

on system boot up it logs me in automatically..i then log out switch user>and switch back to see if i can get the account up>it only shows guest and admin accounts. seems to be ghosted and just is on here but not showing itself for me to make any changes...very frustrating.....ok debugger account in itself isnt a great problem as i can still do 90% of stuff-and i can switch to admin for any installs...just the fact its happened is the bug bear.

Comment

Actually, you can.
            From what you are saying here, all you need to do is to go to Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Local Users and Groups -> Users, double click your username, go to the Member of tab.
            There, remove the Debugger Users and add the Administrators group.
            That should do the trick...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

That would require that Account Management auditing be enabled at the time of the change and by default it's disabled.

Zola, I assume you are using the "Welcome Screen" since you're not part of a domain. (BTW - if you want to access the admin account from normal mode you can log off and then press ctrl+alt+del twice)
              You may want to check to see if the account was hidden from the Welcome Screen. http://www.petri.com/hide_a_user_fro...windows_xp.htm
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Actually, you can.
                From what you are saying here, all you need to do is to go to Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Local Users and Groups -> Users, double click your username, go to the Member of tab.
                There, remove the Debugger Users and add the Administrators group.
                That should do the trick...

got rid of debugger status went to add administrator but name not found.
                what should i actually type in the last box?

Comment

It should be Administrators
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                    That would require that Account Management auditing be enabled at the time of the change and by default it's disabled.

Zola, I assume you are using the "Welcome Screen" since you're not part of a domain. (BTW - if you want to access the admin account from normal mode you can log off and then press ctrl+alt+del twice)
                    You may want to check to see if the account was hidden from the Welcome Screen. http://www.petri.com/hide_a_user_fro...windows_xp.htm
                    i am using the welcome screen and its bypassing this and bootin straight up into the debugger account-logged in as admin to disable the debugger account and booted up in safemode...got windows is loading blue screen and it just hung and did no more...obviously this "pete" debugger account is set as default for boot up?

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                      It should be Administrators

it has worked!thank god for that,all the sleepless nights and it was that simple!!

may have been how i worded it etc that may have confused the issue, but i thank you guys for your help

cheers!

Comment

We're always glad to help out.
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                        X