Windows XP THINKS it's in Safe Mode

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP THINKS it's in Safe Mode

I have an interesting scenario on one of my clients machines.

They had a bunch of malware on one of their computers which we cleaned no problem, there was one issue with one of them (Vundo) which gets itself in the winlogon portion of the registry which we fixed using Atribune's Vundofix tool.

That was all fixed about two weeks ago and the computer ran fine till last Friday.

As of friday when the computer is switched on, it boots into normal mode (screen resolution is fine, programs are starting in the taskbar) but most of the services were not running, when I tried to start them manually it says error 1084: cannot start in safe mode. The virus scanner obviously isn't running because the services aren't.

I even tried running a windows repair (inplace upgrade) using the xp sp2 cd but it did the first portion (copying and seting up some of the files) but now everytime it boots it tries to finish the installation but it says it cannot continue in safe mode you have to boot into Normal Mode, but it is in Normal Mode.

Computer running Windows XP Pro sp2.

Has anyone come across this before?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Sruli
    Last edited by sruliwolff; 9th April 2008, 19:06. Reason: computer type, update.

Re: Windows XP THINKS it's in Safe Mode

Hmmmm...
    Have you checked the Event log?
    What will happen if you DO boot into Safe Mode, and then do a normal restart again?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

The only thing in the event viewer is the event of the services trying to start at the bootup and some COM errors with the following error:

The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing

Sruli

Comment

Try to boot in Safe Mode and then Restart in Normal Mode.
        Last edited by sorinso; 10th April 2008, 14:45. Reason: typos

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Tried booting into safe mode and then back into normal mode, but nothing changed.

I then tried running a repair on Windows XP, but the second stage of the repair (after the copying it boots into windows and resetups all the drivers and windows files) wouldn't continue because as before "windows repair cannot continue in safe mode".

I didn't have time, so I backed up the data, reinstalled and restored the data.

Either way, it's a very interesting issue and one I had not encountered in the number of years working in this field.

If anyone comes across it and finds a fix I'd be interesteed to know.

I think it was a registry entry that was corrupt somewhere telling the winlogon and services that it was in Safe Mode when it really wasn't.

Thanks for trying.

Sruli

Comment

I'm sorry that couldn't help you more...
            Thank you for updating the forum.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

sruliwolff,

I am experiencing the exact same problem and cannot resolve.

Is my only option to reload the whole system?

Thanks.

Jon

Comment

It is usually better to make a new post rather than drag up an old one.

If you are technical it may be worth looking at this post and seeing if you can have a look at these registry settings, maybe something is calling this, especially if you have had a virus/adware problem,.
                http://blog.didierstevens.com/2007/0...th-a-reg-file/
                http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/213/
                cheers
                Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

system restore will work just fine if you got restore points, if it doesnt ask you to go into system restore (no repair) then goto cmd prompt and type msconfig and goto the system restore.
                  What do I know, I am only 26.

Comment

If you plan on trying to figure it out I can only give you one piece of advice:

DON"T TRY TO DO A REPAIR.

I had to format and reinstall the OS as I tried to do a repair and then in the second part of the repair after it copies the files and then reboots to finish the configuation it wouldn't finish it as it says it could not run the repair in SAFE MODE.

Every reboot after that tried to finish the repair and wouldn't run in SAFE MODE even though it was booting into regular mode.

Sruli

Comment

I have had the same problem, also after having successfully removed various viruses etc from my son's PC. XP assumed to be in safe mode presumably because of the environment variable SAFEBOOT_OPTION that had been set to "NETWORK".

This can for instance be checked by selecting: start-control-system, selecting the tab "advanced" and pushing the button "environment variables". Scrolling the list of system variables should show whether the (cause of) the problem is the same, e.g. SAFEBOOT_OPTION being listed as having a value (whether NETWORK or MINIMAL).

If this is the case, then open the registry and look for every instance of "SAFEBOOT_OPTION" and reset the value from 2 to 0 (do not delete the key alltogether!). The 2 essential places where you will probably find the entry are HKCU - environment, and HKLM - system - currentcontrolset - sessionmanager - environment. After rebooting however, the keys re-appeared until I removed the key OPTION(S?) at every occurrence of "Safeboot" under HKLM - Controlset001, Controlset002 etcetera, Currentcontrolset - Control - Safeboot (if I remember correctly, the OPTION key appeared under "Safeboot" next to "Minimal" and "Network" and had a value "NETWORK". For some reason that I was not able to determine, after rebooting, the system announced that during bootup it had experienced a severe exception error (I did not see it, however), but the system was fully operational thereafter anyway. After a second reboot, the error did not occur anymore and the services necessary to carry out Windows Update could be started again.

Hope this posting helps jfox and/or anybody else having the same problem. I extensively searched the internet for solutions and found none, before I attempted to find a solution myself.

If anybody tries to resolve the problem in the same way, please let me know whether it worked for you as well.
                      Last edited by Salsero; 17th July 2008, 23:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Salsero View Post
                        If anybody tries to resolve the problem in the same way, please let me know whether it worked for you as well.
                        Tried it & it worked. Only had to change the first instance of Option to 0 on the one I'm working on. After changing it the others I found were already 0. Rebooted with no error & XP now working great. After the reboot, I delete the blank SAFEBOOT_OPTION variable from the System Variables (as it shouldn't be there). Thanks.

AA

Comment

Glad it worked for you as well Thanks for the feedback!

Salsero

Comment

I registered to this forum just to share this solution for people in the future.
                            I work as a PC repair technician and encountered this on a customer's computer a while back.
                            1. Go to Start > Run > type 'regedit'
                            2. Edit > Find > 'SafeBoot'
                            3. When the SafeBoot key is found in the registry there should be two subkeys, 'Minimal' and 'Network', if there is a third subkey 'Option', delete the entire option subkey and the problem will be solved

Havn't seen this fix anywhere else on the internet. This was my find personally. Hope it helps someone out.

Comment

Originally posted by Salsero View Post
                              ... I removed the key OPTION(S?) at every occurrence of "Safeboot" under HKLM - Controlset001, Controlset002 etcetera, Currentcontrolset - Control - Safeboot (if I remember correctly, the OPTION key appeared under "Safeboot" next to "Minimal" and "Network" and had a value "NETWORK"
                              The above was posted on the 17th of July. I therefore wonder a bit about:

Originally posted by hsandlar View Post
                              When the SafeBoot key is found in the registry there should be two subkeys, 'Minimal' and 'Network', if there is a third subkey 'Option', delete the entire option subkey and the problem will be solved

Havn't seen this fix anywhere else on the internet. This was my find personally. Hope it helps someone out
                              Neverthless I appreciate the intention to let others share good solutions ...

Regards,

salsero

Comment

Working...
                              X