Temp Files

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp Files

I have discovered a Temp file (C:\Documents and Settings\Janet\Local Settings\Temp) which has almost 600 objects (many of which are folders) and is over 1GB. Can I delete all the contents? Screen capture attached.....[The screen capt. is clear as an email atachment but might not be readable on the website...?]

Many thanks,
    Janet
    XP Professional
    Attached Files

Re: Temp Files

The picture is clear; and yes you can delete them all. Any which the OS feels it needs will report an error and stop the operation; so you may need to de-select individual files (usually the top ones after the failure) and re-start the deletion over and over again, until you are only left with the "in-use" files.

So - CTRL-A (select all)... press the "Delete" key... click "Delete" on the warning... note the filename on the "in use" warning box... click "OK" on the "in use" warning box... de-select the in use file... press "delete" again... etc etc etc.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

I deleted them to the Recycle Bin until I can make sure everything still works........Why did that Temp folder never appear all the times Windows Clean-up function told/tells me what files I can get rid of to make more space on my system?

Janet

Comment

Because Windows is stupid. I have to do mine occasionally too - I suspect Windows views this as a "System" folder and therefore ignores its content. I don't use the "cleanup wizard" anyway; I've had far too many instances of required files being deleted. It also doesn't talk to Windows File Protection and sometimes files it's deleted get recovered!!

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

I always look carefully at what they suggest I delete before doing so....Usually it is just temp files, but I check them anyway.....In this case it was whole folders from programs (including software for scanner, printer, etc.) that I use daily....Do Installers put them in a temp system file just for installation purposes? And then just leave them there?? I assume all these files are somewhere else on my computer in case I need to reinstall at a future date....It's an awful lot of files to hunt down........Meanwhile, I put it all on an external hard drive to make room on my C drive.....

J.

Comment

Yes, installer packages are renowned for leaving behind a mess - they're just like builders and plumbers!! Also, MSOffice often fails to clean up its TEMP files when a document is closed. Get used to doing this on a regular basis; you will soon find that no problems will be caused by getting rid of these files. Anything Windows needs or still has open will not delete. Do make sure you have closed all your "SETUP" and Office programs before deleting them though; in fact the best time to do it is immediately after a reboot.

The files the system places in TEMP are "working copies" - the files you downloaded/installed/whatever are still where you put them - you will damage nothing by deleting them.

Tom

Comment

If we don't know about these files, how can we look for them to delete them? I occasionally do a search for "temp"--is that all one can do? Can we always assume that anything in any TEMP folder is deletable??

J.

Comment

No one could ever say 100% you will not need them so you have to weight this up with the amount of space used.

Well written programs should only need things in the temp directories when they are running or installing. If you have rebooted then anything in there can "generally" be deleted. Some programs leave log files in there whilst installing so you may want to check them before deleting.

My temp directories and so forth are deleted on every boot for what it is worth.
                cheers
                Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I cannot say specific about these folders/files, but we have applications that need to be reinstalled if their files in the TEMP directory are deleted.
                  So, easy with it...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
                    My temp directories and so forth are deleted on every boot for what it is worth.
                    ALL temp directories on your entire computer, or just Internet temp files? How do you set that?

J.
                    Last edited by janetb; 9th April 2008, 19:20. Reason: Needs more emphasis...

Comment

Originally posted by janetb View Post
                      ALLHow do you set that?
                      That shouldn't be a problem... A simple CMD file with several DEL commands should do it. After all, there aren't too many TEMP folders around... We are using one at the office, but I won't be in until Sunday...
                      Last edited by sorinso; 10th April 2008, 14:47.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                      -

Comment

There are also programs like CCleaner which do a pretty good job (nothing is perfect!). The link is below only because it is freeware.

http://www.ccleaner.com/
                        cheers
                        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
                        X