XP server - Recommendation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP server - Recommendation

I am building a Web server, audio streaming and email server and I did a performance test and I want to know if a need more.

Projections:
    Host 4 sites
    Expected persons on the site 200 visitors
    Streaming audio 2312 listenering

Bandwidth: 10m/1.5m
    System information:
    CPU Manufacturer: Genuine Intel
    Number of CPU: 1
    (2 Core(s)/CPU, 1 Logical(s)/Core)
    CPU Type: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6420 @ 2.13GHz
    CPU Speed: 2133.2 MHz
    Cache size: 4096KB
    O/S: Windows XP (WIN32)
    Total RAM: 3070.5 MB.
    Available RAM: 2511.3 MB.
    Total Disk Space: 500 GBytes

Cluster Size: 4.0 KBytes
    File system: NTFS

----
    Please can you provide your feedback?
    I was going to update my CPU to one of the following.

1) Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Processor BX80557E6850 - 3.0GHz, 4MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB, Conroe, Dual-Core, Retail, Socket 775, Processor with Fan Price $299.00
    or
    2) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Processor BX80580Q9300 - 2.50GHz, 6MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB, Yorkfield, Quad Core, Retail, Socket 775, Processor with Fan Price $309

3)Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Processor EU80570PJ0876M - 3.16GHz, 6MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB, Wolfdale, Dual-Core, OEM, Socket 775, Processor Price $289.00

Is it worth the upgrade and will it make a difference? If is worth it which CPU should I go with.

Re: XP server - Recommendation

And you want to run XP as the operating system?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

XP cannot be used as a server (except few ocassions, but not matching your scenario here).
      Windows XP is a desktop Operating System, not a server one. It allows only 10 concurrent connections, so it won't be able to cope with your 200 users.
      So, unless you are OK with 10 concurrent connections, I would suggest to start by changing the OS to a server.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

I am working to upgrade my Bandwidth to a more acceptable up speed. i am actually running the following on my server

Apache HTTPD 2.2.8
        Openssl 0.9.8g
        MySQL 5.0.51a
        PHP 5.2.5
        PHP 4.4.8
        phpMyAdmin 2.11.4
        FileZilla FTP Server 0.9.25
        Mercury Mail Transport System 4.52
        Clamwin
        Perl 5.8.8
        mod_perl 2.0.3

System information update
        2 Sata drive
        Asus P5nsli 775 Motherboard
        4 gig RAM (I know that XP will only see 3 GIG)

maybe I need to change from XP to windows server 2003 is there any major difference if a change(I am not using IIS i am using Apache limitless connents. What will be the gain ? As i am not very familiar with windows 2003 server i am more comfortatble with XP.

The server is actually up and running now and works great i wanted to know if i needed more. I am going to build another server for the network office which will maybe 10 computer pulling file from it. or can i use the same server.

I am not sure that i am able or not to put my url but here goes http://www.rahtidfm.com

I am building an actual radio station in Jamaica and will obtain the finally license in about 3-4 months. so i now preparing all the harware and software before i get the green light.

Want to know if i am missing anything in refernce to the computer side of it either harware or software. yes i have all the cabling and routers . anything else.

Note:
        I am not by far an IT guru. I am learning while i go.so any help will be welcome.

Comment

I'd be VERY surprised if XP allows Apache to accept more than the ten maximum incoming connections; those connections have to hit the OS before they are redirected to the application. You will experience FAR better performance (and the various App vendors will be far more willing to support you) on Windows Server 2003 with all the appropriate licenses. You may even be in breach of the XP licence agreement running all this "stuff" intended for remote access on an XP box.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Ok maybe changing from XP to windows server 2003 better, is there any major difference if I change. the reason i am asking is for two reasons
            1) i am not very familiar with windows 2003 server i am more comfortatble with XP.
            2) I've put in a lot of work on the XP box and if i change the OS to Windows server 2003 or 2008 i will lose all my data. Is there a way i can change and have all the programs and still installed. like MYSQL and etc without the need to reinstall the applications. If that is possible then i'll make the change.

Comment

no but you can install it as a dualboot or otherwise backup all the data and reinstall the machine.
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

http://howtoforge.com/centos-5.1-ser...-ftp-ispconfig
                ________
                Oilhead
                Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:24.
                Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Why would you want to host ClamAV, OpenSSL, Perl and Apache on a Windows box??

And if you do, definitely go with Windows Server - maybe the Web edition would be good for you.
                  VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

My apologizes, but I think the main question is being lost here, IIS is not going to be used for my web server I am using apache, which can has unlimited connections.

The main question is as follows
                    I've put in a lot of work on the XP box and if I change the OS to Windows server 2003 or 2008 I will lose all my data. Is there a way I can change and have all the programs and still installed? Like MYSQL and etc without the need to reinstall the applications.

Other option is to upgrade the 32 bit XP pro to 64 bit XP pro. If I did would a lose all my data again.

The final question. What is the major gain for upgrading to windows server 2003/8 is it for IIS connections. Its not worth it because apache takes care of that the connection limitation that IIS has in XP.

The only problem I see is to create a domain controller and active directory on XP in not possible. So I might have to build another server with windows 2003/08 to act as the DNS server domain controller and active directory.

All the hardware and software on the server. The question is that sufficient

The main reason why i used XP over Linux is becasue i not very comfortable with linux yet, but comfortable enough with apache.

Comment

Well XP won't accept more then 10 concurrent connections which has nothing to do with IIS.
                      I would be really surprised if you got more then 10 concurrent connections.
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands
                      http://www.phetios.com
                      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

My apologizes, but I think the main question is being lost here, IIS is not going to be used for my web server I am using apache, which can has unlimited connections.
                        This means nothing as far as I know. Any packet for an application which comes into your network card has to be processed by the OS (Windows XP) before it gets fed to the Apache Web Server application. Windows will count up to ten connections and stop any more. So Apache will never, ever see them.

Also, don't forget that you may be breaching licensing conditions by using it as if it were a server.

I don't think you will lose ANY data by changing operating system - whichever route you take. You will have to install your applications again, but your data should be fairly straightforward to back up, and then restore once the applications are installed.
                        Last edited by Stonelaughter; 8th April 2008, 23:43.

Tom
                        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
                        X