Creation of a "boot.log" File - How?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creation of a "boot.log" File - How?

As I am experiencing slow boot-up times in my XP Pro-SP2 P.C. I would like to create a "boot.log" file to see whether this will give any clues to the delay.

I understand this file should appear in the C:/ drive but there is no such file anywhere on my computer.

I tried clicking the "/BOOTLOG" entry which is found when you enter "msconfig" and navigate to the "Boot.ini" tab.

This also failed to produce such a log file .

How do I obtain this file and , if I do manage to do so , will this file detail the various times taken by apps/services to load thereby helping to diagnose any causes of delays?

Re: Creation of a "boot.log" File - How?

Hi, thenoo.
    AFAIR, there are two options in creating a boot log file:
    - by adding the /BOOTLOG parameter in the boot.ini file ;
    - by pressing F8 key during the boot itself and choosing the Enable Boot Logging option.

Notice that during this process, the file created is called ntbtlog.txt and resides in %systemroot% (usually, C:\Windows).
    Check any of these options and let us know the outcome.
    Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Thanks for the reply , Sorinso.

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
      Hi, thenoo.
      AFAIR, there are two options in creating a boot log file:
      - by adding the /BOOTLOG parameter in the boot.ini file ;
      - by pressing F8 key during the boot itself and choosing the Enable Boot Logging option.

Notice that during this process, the file created is called ntbtlog.txt and resides in %systemroot% (usually, C:\Windows).
      Check any of these options and let us know the outcome.
      Good luck.
      Your first suggestion did not produce any boot file.It changed the Boot process slightly by introducing a black "DOS" - type screen asking for the Operating System - this only appeared for a few seconds.

Your second suggestion worked OK - the "ntbtlog.txt" file appearing in C:\Windows .

I seem to remember reading years ago that it was possible to generate a file which listed , as well as all the launching services and drivers , the times taken to launch each item , thus enabling an easy way to spot any recalcitrant driver which may be the cause of a slow boot.

I wonder whether anyone has any knowledge of such a file.

Comment

http://arstechnica.com/guides/tweaks/sgp-tweaks.ars
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by thenoo View Post
          I seem to remember reading years ago that it was possible to generate a file which listed , as well as all the launching services and drivers , the times taken to launch each item , thus enabling an easy way to spot any recalcitrant driver which may be the cause of a slow boot.
          Sounds that you are referring to BootVis. Although I used it several times (and found the reasons for slow boot), I cannot call myself an experienced user with it. So, go get it from SoftPedia and play with it ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
            Sounds that you are referring to BootVis. Although I used it several times (and found the reasons for slow boot), I cannot call myself an experienced user with it. So, go get it from SoftPedia and play with it ...
            Thanks again for the links - much obliged

Comment

Great!
              I'm glad it helped...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
              X