Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Logon slow after disconnecting LAN cable from Laptop

Hello,

I can't seem to figure this issue out. I have a windows 2003 server network. With correct DNS address, DHCP etc.. all client pc's login in have not problem.
    However, one of my senior officer has problems login into XP Pro using the cached mode at home.

When he connects the laptop on our LAN (domain), he logs on fine and quite fast although it takes a few minutes 1.5 minutes to get past the "Applying Computer Settings" part of the logon process. Which is OK.

But my problem is, when he takes the laptop home, or if we shut it down and cold boot (note: the LAN cable is not connected here assuming he's at home), the logon process will hang after "appliying the user settings". The desktop is blank and thing start to appear almost after 10 minutes, the "apply computer settings" appears sometimes after this 10 minutes.

I have disabled all the GP's exept the default domain policy but still the problem persists.

The event viewer shows the userenv error where the system is unable to find the server to download the group policy thus aborting the process.

How can we stop XP from trying to find this GP and if we can't do this What can I do to fix this problem.

Thanks in Advance
    Dixman

Re: XP Logon slow after disconnecting LAN cable from Laptop

What kind of laptop is it?

I had a similar problem with a Dell Latitude and to resolve it I had to uninstall the wireless adapter and the Dell wireless utility and then reinstall them.

To test, try disabling the wireless adapter (Control Panel -> Network Connections -> right-click and select Disable) and then reboot with the laptop disconnected from the LAN.

But this might not apply to your situation.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I can see this as being a problem with the wireless NIC being enabled and his local network at home having the same subnet.. is this the case?
      VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

if you have any network drives attached, disconnect them.

I had the same problem, and that helped in my case.

regards,

Jumanji
        ..:: jumanji

Comment

Working...
        X