Standby shuts down network adapter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standby shuts down network adapter

i know this issue has been covered in the past but for some unknown reason my network adpater shuts down when my PC goes into standby mode although the "allow this device to turn off to save power" is disabled.

any ideas?

thanks in advance.

Re: Standby shuts down network adapter

I always thought that when your machine went into standby it closed everything and went to sleep.

Have you checked the Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby??

Comment

So it's not the firewall that is shutting the network connection down, it is the physical NIC itself?
      sigpic

Comment

It's the OS doing it. Standby is a low power mode that shuts off almost all hardware and stores info in the RAM.
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

as i said, i disabled the allow this device to turn off to save power.

is there another option somewhere else i need to change?

Comment

Originally posted by Rambleon View Post
            as i said, i disabled the allow this device to turn off to save power.

is there another option somewhere else i need to change?
            I thought this setting only worked when the PC was "awake" and was designed to save battery on a laptop while the rest of the PC was being used.

So, is your PC a laptop or a desktop? Any BIOS setting that will allow you to use WOL?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Rambleon View Post
              i know this issue has been covered in the past but for some unknown reason my network adpater shuts down when my PC goes into standby mode although the "allow this device to turn off to save power" is disabled.

any ideas?

thanks in advance.
              Why not just stop the sytem from going into standby?
              CCA: XenApp 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by bill_sffcu View Post
                Why not just stop the sytem from going into standby?
                i want to enforce a new standby policy in my organization (thats the whole point).
                is there another thing i need to disable in order for my network adapter to work during standby mode? (besides the "allow this device to turn off to save power"

Comment

Errr.. I'm not sure if this is possible.
                  If you want to keep alive the nic, he will still receives data.
                  If he still receives data it needs to be processed.
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands
                  http://www.phetios.com
                  http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                  "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                  "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

It is quite obvious that the network adapter will stop working when the system goes into standby mode..I am sorry to say but i dont think there is any option to stop it shutting down...

Comment

Errr - if the NIC goes off when in standby mode, how does "wake on LAN" work? Sorry but most of our desktops at work have "Wake on LAN" enabled in the BIOS and while the power plug is in the back of the machine, the NIC is listening for the Wake on LAN signal. That's whether the machine is in Standby or Off - it will power up when told to.

Have you enabled "Wake on LAN" in the BIOS?

Tom
                      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Wake on LAN works on Magic packets.
                        AFAIK all packets are useless for the NIC unless he sees the Magic packet.
                        Last edited by Dumber; 30th March 2008, 19:44.
                        Marcel
                        Technical Consultant
                        Netherlands
                        http://www.phetios.com
                        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Check the BIOS settings. More times than not (in my experience), WOL or PXE boot is controlled through the BIOS.

What brand of computer?

Also Dumber is right. If the PC is off or in standby, all packets are useless unless they're a Magic Packet.

Comment

Working...
                          X