Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding memory

Hi,
    I have a pentieum 2 233 cpu with 3 memory slots.
    in two of three slots i have 64 mega (128 in total).
    I tried adding a 128 memory (from the same brand) to the third slot but the pc wont boot.
    The 128 memory worked fine in my other computer.
    Anybody got ideas?
    Thanks,
    Yossi

The other PC may be using a different memory architecture, even though it looks the same, from the same manufactorer etc.

The bus speeds may be different. I.E - in your PC, the Motherboard may be running PC133, whereas the other PC may be running PC100, confirming an incompatibility. Check on the label of the chip and make sure they match or refer to your motherboard manual, to find out what memory it runs.

Also, try taking out your current 2 64MB chips and snap in the new 128MB one on its own.

Its all Trial and Error unfortunatly.
    UK Newbie!

Comment

Most motherboards will only allow a certain size memory and combinations. e.g. to get 256mb you might need to do:

Slot 1 - 128mb
      Slot 2 - 128mb
      Slot 3 - Nothing
      = 256mb

or

Slot 1 - 128mb
      Slot 2 - 64mb
      Slot 3 - 64mb

Remember this is only an example. You may find that slot one can have double sided memory and slot 2 and 3 only have single sided if both used or slot 2 can have double sided when used with slot 3 empty. Its all about tracks back to the chipset on the motherboard. Check the manual of your motherboard for more details.

Hope this helps.
      Server 2000 MCP
      Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Glad our advice helped.
          Server 2000 MCP
          Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X