No announcement yet.

Upgrade Advice

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade Advice

I have to upgrade 6 PC's, which currently run XP Home, to XP Pro. I have to try and save some time & money somewhere. Is there any way I can easily use an OEM version of XP Pro to upgrade Home edition as opposed to a full reinstall?

Further to above, I hope I wasn't misleading anyone, and implying that I was only prepared to buy one copy of XP. I will be buying 6 copies, just wanting to know if there is anyway of avoiding a format of XP Home and reinstall of XP Pro on all 6 machines. All 6 machines currently have OEM XP Home, I am confused as to which route to go down with regard to XP Pro - the official upgrade (muchos $), a completely fresh install of the full version of XP Pro (Slightly cheaper, but time consuming), or full install of XP Pro OEM (as before).

Many Thanks

Well a full reinstall of the OS for each machine is the best way to go.

Daniel has collated the upgrade paths for XP.
      This is worth noting from Microsoft.
      Microsoft does not support upgrading Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 1 (SP1) to Windows XP Professional without SP1.
      If your XP Home has SP 1, then it might be an idea to Slipstream Service Pack 1 onto the XP Pro CD before proceeding.

Has XP Home got Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 1a. This could cause a problem with JAVA if you try installing XP Pro SP1a over XP Home SP1.

XP Home can be upgraded with XP Pro.
      Slipstream a SP onto XP Pro CD if it is required.
      Make sure your SP are the same to minimise possible problems.
      Ensure you have backups in case of a visit from the screw-up fairy.
      This site accepts NO RESPONSIBILITY if things go wrong.
      Departed: 23rd December 2015