Lock down local Computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lock down local Computer

How can I lock down my computer using local computer policy? This is a local computer not on domain. I want to lock down computer so that user can only see IE in kiosk mode with no address bar. I dont want user to take control of any thing. I started editing local group policy, but does microsoft or some one has a reg file I can import to my pc?

Re: Lock down local Computer

You would be required to modify the user interface the user has access to by default explorer.exe, you can modify this in local group policy be modifying the group policy object setting:

User Configuration>Administrative Templates>System>Custom User Interface

To launch Internet Explorer in kiosk mode you would be required to enable the above setting and include the following value:

%programfiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe -k

You may also configure this by modifying the registry key to apply internet explorer in kiosk mode for the computer or the user by using the following registry keys:

User Basis
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\
    System

Computer Basis
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\
    System

You would be required to modify the shell REG_SZ data value to:

%programfiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe -k
    MCSA 2000/2003

Comment

thanks for the quick reply
      How can I lock it so user cannot get out out kios mode using Ctrl N key?

How can I lock the address bar?

Comment

I hope you are aware of the fact that any changes you impose through the Local Computer Policy will affect all users, including the Administrator. I would restrain myself by touching that tool for major changes ( I used it to set Classic Start Menu setting for all users and stuff like that).
        I would login as the Administrator, load the user's hive into the Registry (how-to here - it's for NT, but the idea is the same) and change the key (or add it, if does not exist) HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell to "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe -k". This value resides by default under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon , but changing it there will affect all users.
        You did not say what OS are you working with. And what IE version do you have.
        And don't forget to unload the hive, otherwise the user won't be able to log in.
        Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

IE: 6.0

I did not find HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell after loading users hive.

how can I remove task bar , so user cannot open anything?

How can I remove address bar from IE?

Comment

Originally posted by bhavin78 View Post
            IE: 6.0
            OK, then why is this question in 200X Server forum?

I did not find HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell after loading users hive.
            By default, this value resides in HKLM, because it's a system spread setting. A long time ago I used it on a specific user, to alter its settings, and added it only to its hive.

how can I remove task bar , so user cannot open anything? How can I remove address bar from IE?
            Hmmmmm. A little bit trickier. I would think of creating an HTML page on the local computer, with the specific attributes you need and loading it in the IE in kiosk mode. Something like shell="C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe -k [my customized page]".
            Do you know how to write the HTML page?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

I want to point to a webpage on webserver.

thanks for your help

Comment

I'll test something on a virtual machine next week and I'll let you know ...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                X