No announcement yet.

Windows XP Pro Offline Post Installation

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP Pro Offline Post Installation

I have a Laptop with Windows XP Pro SP2 Pre-installed.. No Installation CD, everything is on a hidden partition on the hard disk along with the manufacturer tools.
    I need to know if there is a way to update the system without connecting to the internet and downloading the updates.

Re: Windows XP Pro Offline Post Installation

Ah, the psychic updates fix (KB666666) is obvioously needed.

If you don't connect to the internet, how will you (a) know which updates you need and (b) get the files?

If you are in a domain (or even a workgroup with a server), you can use WSUS, but there is still a connection to Microsoft Update somewhere in the process. I suppose you could download individual updates on another computer and use a CD/Pen drive to copy them to your laptop, but you would be a lot easier bringing the laptop to a LAN with broadband access.

What is the problem with connecting to the internet -- is it not available, or is there some reason why you don't want to?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Windows XP Pro Offline Post Installation

You can't not connect to the internet and update your system in some way or another.

You could have a look at this if you don't want to connect that machine to the net

Of course as said though you WILL need to connect A machine to the net to get the updates.