Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Login box disappearing after WS is locked

Hi there,

I'm kind of stumped on this issue. We have a handful of desktop machines here on the network with this issue. The user will lock their workstation, go do something like get a print job, or goto lunch, and when they come back the login box won't be there. The screen saver will be up, you wriggle the mouse or strike a key on the keyboard you get a blank screen.

Edit: The machine isn't locked up either, or doesn't appear to be. Capslock will respond on the keyboard and the mouse cursor is still active. It's just that the input devices won't do anything beyond that.

The really difficult part is none of the machines having this problem have anything in the event logs that pertain to this issue, or even share any of the same events.

Unfortunately not having any specific search details it's very difficult to try and find any info. The only thing I found was http://tinyurl.com/3d83o4 this on Experts Exchange. Unfortunately due to corporate desktop policy we can't simply disable the screen saver =)

If anyone has any info on this, or has had this problem please share!

Eric
    Last edited by bobcrotch; 7th March 2008, 19:48.

Re: Login box disappearing after WS is locked

What happens if you press CTRL-ALT-DELETE once, and then twice?

Can you use remote desktop to get on the machine and see what's running using Task Manager?

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
      What happens if you press CTRL-ALT-DELETE once, and then twice?

Can you use remote desktop to get on the machine and see what's running using Task Manager?
      ctrl-alt-delete doesn't do anything, the machine isn't responsive at all.

I haven't tried RDP, the only problem with that though is it's still going to kick the user thats logged onto the machine. I'll give it a try next time this crops up though.

Unfortunately I can't reproduce this issue at all. For now it seems the only thing that any of the machines have in common is that they were locked.

Eric

Comment

Try turning off all power saving in the OS and also in the BIOS and see if that cures it.
        I've seen a similar problem with USB ports going into sleep mode
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by bobcrotch View Post
          I haven't tried RDP, the only problem with that though is it's still going to kick the user thats logged onto the machine.
          Log in through RDP with the same username that is logged in the station will not kick them off. You'll still be able to see their applications and processes that are running in that moment.
          I remind you (if you'll need this option) that with tools like Services.MSC and Eventvwr.MSC you can connect to remote machines. This way, you can see from your computer what's going on on another.

Two more questions:
          1) what screensaver are you using? One of the built-ins?
          2) are, by any chance, these computers in AD? Is there a GPO on applied on them, that, among other settings, has also the setting USER\Administrative Templates\System\Ctrl+Alt+Del Options\Remove Lock Computer on enable?
          Last edited by sorinso; 8th March 2008, 12:47. Reason: few more Qs...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
            Log in through RDP with the same username that is logged in the station will not kick them off. You'll still be able to see their applications and processes that are running in that moment.
            I remind you (if you'll need this option) that with tools like Services.MSC and Eventvwr.MSC you can connect to remote machines. This way, you can see from your computer what's going on on another.
            Ahh I wasn't aware that you could remotely connect with the same user and not kill their session, I'll have to consider trying that. Unfortunately due to PCI and these folks being accountants it's a bit more difficult. I'm sure that for this instance I'll be able to try this though.

Two more questions:
            1) what screensaver are you using? One of the built-ins?
            2) are, by any chance, these computers in AD? Is there a GPO on applied on them, that, among other settings, has also the setting USER\Administrative Templates\System\Ctrl+Alt+Del Options\Remove Lock Computer on enable?
            Just the windows default 'Windows XP' screen saver

Yes. All of these machines are AD joined. There are several GPOs applied to these machines, nothing pertaining to screen saver enforcement though. I've researched most of the policies to these machines that I had felt might be causing this condition.

So for a clearer troubleshooting environment, we have added PGP desktop and Cisco Clean Access. Though we have thoroughly troubleshoot each of these applications to remove them from the root issue. These, though, are not all in common with all hosts having this issue.

It is very frustrating because I cannot find any common changes in the machines experiencing this issue. My own desktop has actually shared this same issue but doesn't share the same software changes as the others. I would assume though that this issue has something to do with the changes we have made.

Any information you feel might help the resolution I should be able to provide.

Many thanks,
            Eric

Comment

When I came in this morning I had the login issue with my own workstation, I've tried to connect to it via RDP and remote management. I haven't had any success with either.

Eric

Comment

Can you please be more specific?
                You tried to connect through RDP and it didn't work. What was the error message you got? When this problem does not occur, can you establish an RDC to your computer?
                What tools have you tried with to connect to your computer? Services? EventViewer? Both? What was the error message you got? Can you connect to these services when the problem does not occur?
                What happens if you ping a computer in such a state?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

Can you please be more specific?
                  You tried to connect through RDP and it didn't work. What was the error message you got? When this problem does not occur, can you establish an RDC to your computer?
                  What tools have you tried with to connect to your computer? Services? EventViewer? Both? What was the error message you got? Can you connect to these services when the problem does not occur?
                  What happens if you ping a computer in such a state?
                  I'm unable to make any type of connection to the machine, the winlogon and rpc services are all in a stopped state (I imagine). The RDP error is the generic cannot connect message.

I haven't been able to spend a lot of time on this issue this week. My next step was to try and remotely stop some of the services such as winlogon and RPC and see what happens.

ICMP is about the only way I can communicate with the machines. I've even tried enabling telnet on a few of the test case machines. Once they've entered this state I wasn't able to connect to them via telnet, either.

I'm not really sure what you want me to be more specific about.

Comment

I'm not really sure what you want me to be more specific about.
                    By answering my questions ... It's more specific than
                    haven't had any success
                    The more you describe the problem, the more looks to me that the computer(s) get into some deep-sleep state. That can be caused by "natural" causes, like a Power scheme, or "unnatural" causes, like a crash of a specific service that triggers an avalanche of other crashes. For example, RPC crashing can be disastrous, given the dependency list of this service.
                    What is the power scheme on these stations? Is it on "Always On"? Especially "Turn off disks" should be on NEVER.
                    I would check and set it to "Always On" and see if it helps somehow.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

By answering my questions ... It's more specific than
                      The more you describe the problem, the more looks to me that the computer(s) get into some deep-sleep state. That can be caused by "natural" causes, like a Power scheme, or "unnatural" causes, like a crash of a specific service that triggers an avalanche of other crashes. For example, RPC crashing can be disastrous, given the dependency list of this service.
                      What is the power scheme on these stations? Is it on "Always On"? Especially "Turn off disks" should be on NEVER.
                      I would check and set it to "Always On" and see if it helps somehow.
                      Maybe I'm coming to the wrong place, I had assumed that these boards were more technical. I've checked all the basic things like power settings.

I've also answered your questions.

Thank you anyhow.

Comment

Well, I think that after that reply that there will be no further replies to offer you any assistance... with insufficient information to help diagnose the issue I'm pretty sure that even Microsoft's top technical resources (which some members of this forum are good enough to be) could not help you. Thank you for your valued contribution to our community and good day to you Sir.

Tom
                        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

OK, time to cool it. This thread is being watched.

Bobcrotch -- all help here is (a) free and (b) voluntary. Please do not bash members for doing their best with the information they are given.
                          Tom Jones
                          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                          X