Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Users cannot unlock the pc when it's locked during the night (WAS: Strange issue)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Users cannot unlock the pc when it's locked during the night (WAS: Strange issue)

We have a small domain with 10 computers, and 1 server (Dell PowerEdge 840)

Thing is, that if a user leaves his computer on and locked during the night, in the morning he cannot access shared folders on the server, or use the network printers. With the shared folders, it usually says it cannot find the network path, or asks for a username/password.
    When a user restarts, everything work normal and fine as before. What can be the problem here?

p.s. if i put the topic in wrong forum, sorry, I am new on the board

Re: Strange issue

Hiya,
    Does this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297684) seem like what is happening?

SYMPTOMS
    On a computer that runs one of the versions of Windows that is listed at the beginning of this article, if you map a drive to a network share, the mapped drive may be disconnected after a regular interval of inactivity, and Windows Explorer may display a red "X" on the icon of the mapped drive. However, if you try to access or browse the mapped drive, it reconnects quickly. This behavior occurs if the network share computer runs Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, or Windows Server 2003.
    I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
    Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Make sure DNS is pointing to the DC, not the external one from the ISP. On the DC point the DNS server to the ISP DNS. Post a 'ipconfig /all' to be sure, from a workstation.

And get a better title next time.
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

@Maebe: yes, the problem is similar, but it doesnt reconnect quickly, and restart is needed
        @Lior_S:
        Here is the ipconfig /all from my workstation

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit
        Ethernet NIC
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : smth smth
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.128.109
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.128.1
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.128.1
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 77.105.0.19
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, March 07, 2008 09:14:36
        Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, March 08, 2008 09:14:36

DNS servers are those from ISP, and workstations get IP address same as DNS from the router.

Should I change DNS on workstation to those from the server (server's ip address is static, 192.168.128.3)?

Comment

YES!

IMHO, disable DHCP on your router, enable it on the server and set scope options for:
          Default gateway 192.168.128.1
          DNS: 192.168.128.3
          (The wizard will take you through all of it)

In DNS on the server, set the two 77.xxxx addresses as your DNS forwarders.

Once you've done this, do a repair on the network connection on each client and check they've picked up the new settings (or wait 24 hours...)
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks, but it will work ok with only the dns change in cpanel/network connections on workstations? I don't wanna install dhcp on server, and get into new problems

Comment

As long as it has the correct DNS server IP it will work

But why not use DHCP on the server -- it is easy to configure and gives much more flexibility!
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I like the saying "if it's not broken, don't fix it"

Many thanks for your help mate, I really appreciate it

Comment

Re: Users cannot unlock the pc when it's locked during the night (WAS: Strange issue)

Administrative note: topic title changed...
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands
                  http://www.phetios.com
                  http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                  "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                  "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Highl1 View Post
                    I like the saying "if it's not broken, don't fix it"

Many thanks for your help mate, I really appreciate it
                    but it is broken!
                    I would use DCHP on the server, however depending on the router you may be able to set the DC as DNS to hand out on DHCP but that is not on every router.

but still the server is best for DHCP

and thanks for the title change
                    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Working...
                    X