No announcement yet.

Help with changing back from WORKGROUP to DOMAIN logon

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with changing back from WORKGROUP to DOMAIN logon

I have a WINDOWS XP Pro system that I changed from a DOMAIN login using the SYSTEMS icon in the control panal to login to a workgroup. The problem is that now I cannot log in the system using the normal user name as I think that user name does not exist in the SAM under the new workgroup name. I am in a catch 22 situation now as I cannot change back as I don't have the admin password!!!!!!! Is there any way to remove the workgroup information I entered via a reg patch? I have a set of windows 2000 boot disks so I can get to the recovery console.

You need to re-join your machine to the domain and you need the domain admin right to do so or get your administrator to assign the respective right to your domain user account.

FYI, you can still gain access to your network folder/files by doing a network map and supplying your domain user account.

Do you log into a Domain or is it just the Domain Style Login (i.e. press ctrl+alt+del not click the icon to log in)?

You could try booting into safe mode and then try logging in as the administrator - this is not usually an option on XP - it only appears in safe mode - to stop users using the admin account and by default it is disabled to stop hacking.
      Server 2000 MCP
      Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **