No announcement yet.

Windows explorer default location

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows explorer default location

I know there have already been topics on this but they don't resolve my problem.

I have 2 HDD's, C: & D: and I am running XP Pro SP2. I only have system stuff on C: and all my files are on D:

When I open Windows Explorer it always opens to C:\Documents and Settings\MyName\Start Menu but I want it default to D:\My Documents

Having looked on Several sites including Microsoft, the answer, supposedly, is to open the windows explorer properties and in the Target field, type the destination that I want. It says the syntax should be

%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e, D:\My Documents
    The Start in: field is %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%, and there is no mention of it having to be changed.

I have set the Target to %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e, D:\My Documents - several times - and rebooted and done all of the obvious stuff but -

Explorer continues to open in C:\Documents and Settings\MyName\Start Menu

Help is always greatly appreciated.

I found the answer on another forum. This is what you have to do.

Start, Right click My Documents, Properties. In the Target field, enter the new Path . (D:\NewFolder or whatever the folder is).

You will be asked if you want to move existing stuff from My Documents. Click yes, and all paths will now go t the new Target.
    Last edited by LucianP; 5th March 2008, 22:53. Reason: got a reply on another forum.