No announcement yet.

Exe's on webmail how to stop

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exe's on webmail how to stop

Our students have access to email via web mail via a local authority. At present students can send themselves or anyone else *.exe file. Obvious pain in the backside. The local authority do not block exes in the attachments, and said they will not be doing it anytime soon.
    What are my options?
    Could I setup Microsoft exchange, bearing in mind that they access their email thought a wed interface at school and at home. Not used Exchange before.
    Is there a group policy that can be set to stop the running of exe within internet explorer.
    I have in place a software restriction policy to stop any other exes
    We have a windows 2003 server domain with xp pro clients.
    Any thoughts would be great
    Many thanks

Re: Exe's on webmail how to stop

Hi ozyDave,

If this is an academic environment using a server/workstation arrangement, then the following should have been in place:

1. A "responsible use" agreement signed by each user specifying what is permissible, and the consequences of failing to comply.
    2. Group Policies which can be used to prevent specific activity by specified user groups or individual users.

You also have the Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK) at your disposal:

This registry modification can be used to restrict access to the Windows Installer so that users won't be able to execute a setup package that uses it:

Disables the Right-Click > "Run As ..." option:

After reissuing all users with a hardcopy policy of use and telling them that contraventions will be treated as gross misconduct, I would disable the ability of all users to download ANYTHING until it sinks in:

You could relax it after a while and monitor user activity closely to isolate the culprits.

Additionally, I would consider preventing certain files from being run at all, not only downloaded from the web...Youd still have to worry about people bringing in thier own copies of regedit, the .reg files.cmd.exe etc... to bypass restrictions...

Once this key is enabled, you can stop them from getting to regedit, cmd.exe etc...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer
    then you create another subkey under that called
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun

String values starting with 1, then 2 etc...Modify the values to correspond to the application you dont want run, like regedit.exe and then youre good to go....

Keep in mind, you can do the same thing with group policy, so this would be a good easy to duplicate solution if GPO is not available at the server level...
    ::: Remember to give credit if you have found this useful. :::
    ::: Wild Oak Tech :::

Re: Exe's on webmail how to stop

Do you have ISA 2004 or 2006 installed? That will stop them stone dead with the appropriate rule.
      Departed: 23rd December 2015