Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User State Migration Tool

Hi
    can some one please tell how to use ( User State Migration Tool).not the file and settings transfer wizard
    1)it's practice for exam
    2)I don't have any kind of server in my virtual PC (practice)
    3)can I use just WXP.PRO to WXP.PRO .
    Thanks

Re: User State Migration Tool

Moved to client OS forum -- not a certification question
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hello,
      Might I point you towards:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window...1d9cf1033.mspx

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window...b07c81033.mspx

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window...105611033.mspx

First you run ScanState on the source computer, specifying your desired .xml files that control what gets migrated to the store. ScanState compresses the files and settings and stores them as an image file (Usmt3.mig) in the location that you specify. Then, you run LoadState on the destination computer, specifying your desired .xml files that control what gets migrated from the store, and where the data is migrated to on the destination computer. LoadState migrates the files and settings from the store to the destination computer. Depending on what you want to migrate, you can specify any number of .xml files on the command lines using the /i option. In most cases, you should specify the same set of .xml files on both command lines.
      All from Google + USMT
      I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
      Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Hi
        can some one please show me how this can works.
        1)at the command prompt, I always get= G:\Documents and Settings\My name>.
        and if I want to go to any folders in my documents like this ones (USMT\Scan) I just add the mane of the folder and the subfolder.like this
        G:\Documents and Settings\My name>USMT\Scan .after that I always get this message.'USMT'is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
        should I change the command prompt to something else? or should I change the > to \ .the problem there is no way to deleted (>)
        2)after that I have to Run scanstate.exe using this command line:
        scanstate /i .\migapp.inf /i .\migfiles.inf /i .\sysfiles.inf\MigStore. MigStore is the name of a folder in my ducoments.
        Thank you

Comment

Where are the two tools residing? On your CD?
          You need to use the full path to the executable, since it looks like it is not in the PATH environment variable.
          Something like this:
          G:\Documents and Settings\My name>[CD Drive letter]:\[path on the CD]\USMT \scan
          Good luck.
          Last edited by sorinso; 8th March 2008, 21:00.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Thank you for the reply
            I download User State Migration Tool 2.6 from Microsoft web site and I used the one in CD windows xp pro. but every time I try to run scanstate.exe the application comes to the screen and disappear quickly. I don't know why.
            2 question is (User State Migration Tool ).works for a server only?. because I'm not using any server. I'm using virtual PC and three windows xp pro as workgroup for Practice.
            if you have any suggesting how to makes this thing works.
            Thanks for your help

Comment

USMT is intended for PCs, personal workstations, not for servers. So there is no need for any server (it cannot be used on servers! See its System Requirements)...
              Why are you using the version from the CD, if you downloaded a (newer one, I am pretty sure) version form Microsoft? Stick to one of them (the newer one).
              When you double-click an application and it opens a screen for a tenth of a second and it closes, it is usually because it runs without an output or it gives you an error message you cannot see (because it's too fast). What you should do in such case is to run the application from the command prompt. This way, the error message will remain on the screen and you will be able to understand what's wrong.
              Good luck. Keep us posted.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Hi
                Thank you for your help
                now, I'm using usmt301 .and every time I want to use.
                scanstate \\fileserver\share\mystore /targetxp /i:migsys.xml /i:migapp.xml /i:miguser.xml /v:13.I get this.

C:\Program Files\USMT301>scanstate\\fileserver\share\mystore /targetxp /i:migsys
                .xml /i:migapp.xml /i:miguser.xml /v:13
                The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\Program Files\USMT301>scanstate \\fileserver\share\mystore /targetxp /i:migsy
                s.xml /i:migapp.xml /i:miguser.xml /v:13

Log messages are being sent to 'C:\Program Files\USMT301\ScanState.log'

Unable to store user state at the given location. Please make sure that you have
                permissions to write to the specified directory and that it does not already co
                ntain a valid USMT store.
                Please see the log file for more details.

C:\Program Files\USMT301>

I'm getting confuse. because I don't know what that mean \\fileserver\share\mystore. I don't have a server.
                I'm using virtual PC and three windows xp pro as workgroup for Practice. every virtual machine has a name like this (winxppro1,winxppro2,winxppro3) I tried to put the virtual machine name at the place of (fileserver)but didn't work.

I need help .Thank you in advance

Comment

Dude, take a look at this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb457090.aspx Pay special attention to the USMT part.
                  Quote from the article, Using USMT :
                  Run ScanState.exe on the client workstation, copying the user state data to an intermediate store.
                  USMT is a tool for enterprise use. It's even stated in the Overview:
                  USMT is designed for administrators only; individual users do not need to use USMT. In addition, USMT requires a client computer that is connected to a Windows Server domain controller.
                  So doing it on your set-up might work, but you have to understand the basics. The articles will assist you in this matter.
                  Now, specific to your post:
                  - \\fileserver\share\mystore it's the share on the network both the source and target computers should have access to. It should work in a workgroup set-up to, but it will be trickier to set the access rights. Not difficult though.
                  Just to be clear:
                  fileserver is the name of the machine you define the share on;
                  share is the name of the shared folder, as you shared it;
                  mystore is the name of the file that contains the user's settings that were exported.
                  This is the place all the settings exported from current user's profile are stored to. From the same place they will be imported (with LoadState.exe) in the new profile. So, you need to arrange such a share, if you want to use it. If you don't specify it, an XML file will be created in the current directory.
                  I suggest you check ScanState Syntax.
                  Good luck.
                  Last edited by sorinso; 13th March 2008, 13:49. Reason: made the things more clear (I hope...)

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Hi
                    I'm sorry I couldn't reply sooner.
                    I want just to tell you thank you very much for your help.

Comment

I am glad it helped.
                      Thank you for updating the forum.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                      X