No announcement yet.

Windows 2000 Networking Problem

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 Networking Problem

I was experiencing slow logons so I had a look at event viewer to see if there were any clues there. This showed the System NetBT error ID: 4311 at every logon. Searching for a solution, I found a link to reinstalling W2K TCP/IP at I followed the instructions there only to find that the machine now won't connect to the LAN at all. The local area connection status in Networking and DialUp connections shows as 'connected' but with no packets sent or received. Ipconfig /all shows only:-

Host Name private 1
    Primary DNS Suffix <Blank>
    Node Type Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled No
    WINS Proxy Enabled No

Ie there are no details at all for the NIC connection.

I tried a repair instal ('In place upgrade') but no joy.

The NIC is set to get an IP address automatically, which it should do from the router. Oh, and I've tried a different ethernet cable. And the router is working for other connections.

Where do I go from here?

Re: Windows 2000 Networking Problem

booting with Last Known Good config would be my guess....

Last Known Good is updated to the current configuration once someone has successfully logged on to the PC, so is only of use when you cannot get past the CTRL+ALT+DEL screen.

In this case, I assume a logon has occurred, so LNG is not applicable.

I don't know if SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING uses the standard NIC driver or something generic, but it might be worth a try, as would setting a static IP / DNS and seeing if that works
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Morning Ossian,

No, safe mode booting doesn't make any difference.

I've also found that in Device Manager; Show hidden devices, the IP NAT and and TCP/IP Protocol Driver are both errored; code 24. In safe mode with networking there's no entry in device manager for the IP NAT but TCP/IP is still errored. Startup for the driver is set to 'automatic' but the status is 'stopped' and it won't start.

Hi everybody.

I think we might as well give up on this one. Not only has a solution not come to light but the system just died. I suspect the CPU has failed.

Thanks everyone who tried to help. I'm off to the pub for