windows explorer network refresh

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows explorer network refresh

I have a handful of remote office pc's talking back to a server over a fw to fw vpn link. Only one pc has the following problem.

When you open Windows Explorer and view a mapped drive, windows explorer pulls the directory information over the network and displays the listing. However, when you scroll up or down explorer again goes over the wire to get a full directory listing. The other pc's in the same office, with the same setup do not exhibit this behaviour. They only go over the wire the first time.

The subsequent requests for directory information cause explorer to hang until all of the information catches up.

I have tried to compare the explorer and tcp/ip registry settings but nothing seems to be the culprit there. I've tried things like having explorer not check for printers or scheduled tasks with no luck (both are registry item deletes).

Tried netmon/filemon to no avail, nothing jumps out as the culprit.
    Tried Windows update, BIOS update, vid card update, driver update to NIC, new NIC, disabling as many services as possible.

The system is XP with all the lastest updates, 2 gigs of ram and a speedy proc. Working locally, it's pretty fast.
    Jake G

Former Microsoft MVP - IIS ('02-'06)

Re: windows explorer network refresh

Hello,
    If you haven't already checked might I suggest checking Tools -> Folder Options ->View -> Don't Cache Thumbnails.
    There is also a setting there Automatically Search for Network Files and Folders which doesn't sound like it would have the affect you describe but could be something to check.
    It might also be worth checking what applications are installed on this PC and not on the others or if there are image viewing tools/applications installed and their settings.
    I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
    Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Maebe,
      Thanks for at least giving it a shot. Unfortunately nothings seems to change the behaviour.
      Jake G

Former Microsoft MVP - IIS ('02-'06)

Comment

Do you by chance have vmware installed on this computer?

Comment

To eleminate things could you try another profile on the same PC?
          Is it possible to try swap the network cable/connection between the problem PC and an ok one?
          What happens if you turn off the Indexing service (if it is on)?

Comment

Hmmm, sounds weird especially if all the machines are identical.
            Some tips you can try..

Are you sure that the data is pulled again and there is no other latency?
            Have you made a sniffer trace on two machines (working and non working) and compared them?
            Have you verified the connection is functioning well? (eg dns/hosts/wins/tracert)?
            Do you have any errors on the switch port connected to the client?
            Isn't the MTU size changed on the client?
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I have found that if vmware is installed then Windows Explorer and network browsing are incredibly slow on the host machine.

Comment

Hi Joe,
                You can turn off the services for VMWare when you aren't using it. You can also disable any virtual NICs (Network and Dial Up connections) it creates until you want them.
                I've found this helps with my own setup when I just want to surf and not do any work.

Comment

vmware is not mentioned by TS?
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands
                  http://www.phetios.com
                  http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                  "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                  "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                  X