no defrag tool.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no defrag tool.

some time ago my pc running xp pro crashed and I have since inherited a pc from my son with os Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600).

I use this pc for my work. I am a freelance researcher so use the ie7, ms outlook and office xp on a regular basis.

at the moment the pc is running very slow particularly when using ms word but when using other applications too.

I have 1gb of physical memory
    virtual memory is set to 1536 - 3072
    processor scheduling is set to programs
    memory usage is set to programs.
    the only application that should be running in the background is AVG

I have uninstalled unnecessary files and applications
    I have run a memory check (ok)
    I have defragged the pagefile

I would like to run disk defrag but it is not installed on this pc
    Where do I install defrag from as I do not have the original os disk?

I would like to optimize memory allocation for the disk and for the internet ports (I have seen this on this site and used it before. Just need to find it)

help is appreciated.
    Thanks.

Re: no defrag tool.

The defrag utility should be on there.
    Check out this KB article and see if that helps you with defragging
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848

One recommendation to make sure you get a good defrag:
    - Delete the pagefile
    - restart in Safe Mode
    - run defrag
    - recreate the page file and make it a static size (set the min and max to the same size)
    - restart normally

Here's a good thread about virtual memory
    http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=20802
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

No, the defrag tool is definitely not there and neither is the disk cleanup program. I can't reload it from the windows setup because I don't have the disk so my next option either wait for my son to get back from down under or install a defrag program.

Next questions are
      what is the best free defrag tool that I can download?
      why do I need to run defrag from same mode?
      If I create a static pagefile, what is the correct size? At the moment it is set to 1.5 x memory size min and 3 x max.

thanks

Comment

Auslogics free defrag program is pretty good. The pagefile should be set at the same size for min and max so that it doesn't get fragmented. 1.5 to 2 times RAM is a good setting. If you can, put it on another drive so that it is separate from the OS partition.

Comment

No Defrag utility?!? What method did you use to access the utility?

Open a command prompt and type in defrag -?.
          If the defrag utility is on the computer it should look like this:
          Code:
          C:\>defrag -?
          Usage:
          defrag <volume> [-a] [-f] [-v] [-?]
            volume  drive letter or mount point (d: or d:\vol\mountpoint)
            -a      Analyze only
            -f      Force defragmentation even if free space is low
            -v      Verbose output
            -?      Display this help text
          If it is not on the computer then it will look like this:
          Code:
          C:\>defrag -?
          'defrag' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
          operable program or batch file.
          As for the size and utility, Joeqwerty accurately addressed your questions.

The reason for booting to Safe Mode is because when you have no pagefile (needful for a good defrag) your system should use as little resources as possible because your system will shutdown when you use all of your physical memory.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Another good one that is free is Power Defragmenter, which is basically a GUI frond end for Sysinternal's Contig, a commandline defragmentation program.
            sigpic

Comment

IMHO, it's not really necessary to defrag in safe mode if using a good third-party defragger. It may have been required during the days of Win98/ME, but I feel it's not needed with XP and Vista.

For instance, I use the excellent defragmenter Diskeeper pro (2008 edition) on my Vista and XP workstations, and I never have to reboot into safe mode to defrag. The one time I had to do a boot-time defrag (for the MFT/PF) with Diskeeper, was the only occasion where a defrag related reboot was required.

Comment

Originally posted by Pratt View Post
                IMHO, it's not really necessary to defrag in safe mode if using a good third-party defragger.
                Could be. I've never used 3rd party defrag tools. So are you saying they can unlock the page file and make it contiguous while defragging the rest of the drive?
                If the OP had a static pagefile size then it would not be necessary to delete the pagefile to do a defrag. (deleting the pagefile is really the only reason you would boot to safe mode)
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I tried booting to safe mode but when I hit F8 I get an option to select the operating system to boot to!!!

The options are:
                  A: but there is no floppy disk inserted.
                  C: which has the OS
                  E: which only has My Documents. E: was recently installed and reformated so there is definitely no OS on it. The Jumpers are correct on the drives with C: set to master with slave and E: set to slave on the same ribbon on IDE 0.

The last option is DVD drive but that is also empty. The DVD drive is on IDE 1 on its own.

Why am I getting this instead of the usual menu?

Any clues?? Thanks.

Comment

Well either the system was dual boot at one time or there was a reinstall of Windows without formatting the drive.

What OSes does it display? Do they both say the exact same thing? If there's no other OS installed on the computer then you can safely remove the entry from the boot.ini file.
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

When I hit F8 I get a blue menu box which says "Select 1st boot device"
                      the options are:

Floppy :1.44 MB 3 1/2
                      IDE-0 : WDC WD800JB-00CRA1 (this is C: set to master w\slave)
                      IDE-1 : HDS722516VLAT80 (this is E: set to slave)
                      CDROM : TSSTCorpCD/DVDW SH-S182M (this is D: set to master)
                      Network

I thought that IDE-0 was the primary ribbon cable and IDE-1 was the secondary ribbon cable. So this is what is confusing me,

Both of the HDD's are on the same primary ribbon cable.
                      The CD/DVDW is on the secondary.

I also ran Belarc Advisor and it said
                      c: (NTFS on drive 0) 80.02 GB 69.24 GB free
                      e: (NTFS on drive 1) 164.69 GB 154.12 GB free

Belarc also only showed 1 operating system
                      "Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)"

So maybe I misunderstood.

Using System Config Utility,
                      From the BOOt.INI tab:

[boot loader]
                      timeout=30
                      default=multi(0)disk(0)partition(1)\windows
                      [operating systems]
                      multi(0)disk(0)partition(1)\windows="Windows XP Media Center Edition " /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

The boot options are all unchecked and also the advanced options are unchecked.

I did a check all Boot lines and the return message was "It appears that all BOOT.INI lines for Microsoft operating systems are ok"

From the General tab:
                      the selective startup is used and all options are checked including use original BOOT.INI

So is there anything to remove from BOOT.INI?

Thanks

Comment

My apologies. I focused in on this sentence and didn't pay attention to the rest of the post.
                        Originally posted by LucianP View Post
                        I tried booting to safe mode but when I hit F8 I get an option to select the operating system to boot to!!!
                        It sounds like you're at the boot menu (choosing what device to boot from). What happens if you press F8 again? What happens if you choose to boot to the C: drive and then immediately press F8 again?
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

What happens if you choose to boot to the C: drive and then immediately press F8 again?
                          this worked.
                          Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                            Could be. I've never used 3rd party defrag tools. So are you saying they can unlock the page file and make it contiguous while defragging the rest of the drive?
                            If the OP had a static pagefile size then it would not be necessary to delete the pagefile to do a defrag. (deleting the pagefile is really the only reason you would boot to safe mode)
                            To the best of my knowledge, the PF can be defragged only during the boot-time defrag (i.e 'offline'). The MFT also can be defragged fully only during a boot-time defrag.

However, currently, much of the MFT can be 'processed' online, and directory consolidation too can be done online unlike before.

All the other fragmented files that are safe to defrag can be defragged while windows is running, assuming no other program has locked any of these files for exlusive access. (Some metadata is deemed unsafe to defrag at all times, and is left alone).

I don't know if running it in safe mode will 'unlock' any more files for defragging; I am not 100% sure, but I don't think safe mode defrag makes any difference in XP or Vista.

Ofcourse, if the PF is static, then it won't get fragmented at all.

I've usually use only Diskeeper for my defrags since I trust it the most, and the above information is to the best of my knowledge, how it handles the defrag. I am unaware of how other defraggers handle (if at all) the above-mentioned processes.

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong on any of the points above..

Comment

Originally posted by Pratt View Post
                              I don't know if running it in safe mode will 'unlock' any more files for defragging; I am not 100% sure, but I don't think safe mode defrag makes any difference in XP or Vista.
                              Here's where I think there's a bit of miscommunication. The reason for booting to safe mode is not specifically for the defrag but rather because of the deletion of the page file. Since the page file on the system we're dealing with in this thread is a dynamic one it is probably scattered all over the disk. Since it cannot be moved during a defrag, deleting the page file allows the defrag to make the other files contiguous and then when you create a new static page file there, hopefully, will be a large chunk of contiguous free space to plop the page file.
                              Regards,
                              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                              X