Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows VPN clients can't seem to stay connected continuously.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows VPN clients can't seem to stay connected continuously.

One of our clients has RRAS configured for VPN access for remote users. The problem they're encountering is that users, who are continuously connected to Internet are disconnecting from the VPN tunnel. The client side is configured to auto reconnect and retry with dialogs suppressed so it does this transparently. However, the reconnect doesn't seem to work very reliably.

Anyone else out there encounter this before? Is there an alternative client that can be used with a Windows PPTP VPN that handles retries better than the built-in client?
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Windows VPN clients can't seem to stay connected continuously.

If I'm not mistaken there is a "keep-alive" setting on the server as well. Have you looked at that?

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      If I'm not mistaken there is a "keep-alive" setting on the server as well. Have you looked at that?
      I've looked for something like that before and there does appear to be an option to limit idle time before bumping the connection. However, it isn't enabled - so idle time is unlimited. Maybe there's another option I should be looking for? Any clue as to where I might find it?
      Last edited by ahinson; 14th February 2008, 05:26.
      Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but there might also be a setting to disconnect a session after a period of "maximum connected" time. Look for that on the server. I don't remember because it's been so long since I looked at RAS.

One more thing, most ISP's will drop a connection that is idle, so maybe the problem is on that end. Have one of the users check their DSL, Cable modem settings for a keep-alive setting.

Also, most firewalls also have an idle session timer, so check with your firewall vendor too.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          Forgive me if I'm wrong, but there might also be a setting to disconnect a session after a period of "maximum connected" time. Look for that on the server. I don't remember because it's been so long since I looked at RAS.

One more thing, most ISP's will drop a connection that is idle, so maybe the problem is on that end. Have one of the users check their DSL, Cable modem settings for a keep-alive setting.

Also, most firewalls also have an idle session timer, so check with your firewall vendor too.
          Yup there is an option for max connection time and it's disabled. It's in the same area as the timeout. Here in the states ISPs don't generally bump idle connections, but I'll look into that.

Firewall is good.

Thanks for the suggestions.
          Andrew

Comment

Working...
          X