Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently re-installed Windows XP (to clean up all the "stufff" downloaded by my kids).

When re-installing, I named the computer 'general' and did not set up any user names or passwords. It was working fine for approx 3 weeks. However, it now requires a username to log-in. Problem is, I have no options to choose from. When I 'control-alt-delete', a dialogue box appears with username 'general' and password to be entered. I can not gat past this point. I have also tried F8 on boot-up to go back to last good configuration, but this still logs me in to the point where I then have to select a user name to continue.

Any thoughts on how this occrred and how to correct it?

Thanks for any help.

Have you tried entering the adminstrator as username and just press enter for the password?

Comment

try this

hi...

if you didn't setup any passwords, in that screen, you should enter blank password and press enter. (if that doesn't work, administrator and blank should work).

when you connect to windows, go to control panel -> user account.
      click "change the way users log on or off" and there you can choose to use a logon screen (just mark the checkbox).

now logoff and see if it worked...
      Yaniv Feldman
      Microsoft Security Regional Director
      Microsoft Management Expert
      MCSA, MCSE, MCT

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately, I had already tried both of those. Administrator as user name with blank password does not work.

Any other thoughts, short of taking the hard drive out, putting it in a USB peripheral, and copying contents to different computer before re-installing Windows? Is there some option to create a bootable disk using my other computer (XP pro) that can get around this problem?

Comment

try..

reinstalling with repair option...

this should overwrite the existing settings without deleting all your info...
          Yaniv Feldman
          MCSA, MCSE, MCT

Comment

Yaniv - thanks for the advice. I will look into that option. ANything special I need to know or is the process pretty self explanatory once I begin. IE - do I just use the Windows XP install disk, and 're-install with repair' is an option I can choose (similar to options available when you F8 on boot up)? Thanks again.

Comment

just...

u load the setup from the boot CD, and don't choose repair (because then it starts recovery console), but choose install.
              now it detects you have a current Windows OS and suggest to repair it. you choose that option, and from now on that is pretty much self leadding....
              Yaniv Feldman
              MCSA, MCSE, MCT

Comment

Working...
              X