Win98 removed from domain..can't add to new workgroup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win98 removed from domain..can't add to new workgroup

I was replacing a noisy fan for a cust. when I was rebooting the system I got the error that the registry was corrupt and a b/u was loaded. I noticed that some of the start up items were missing so I tryed to restore the registry myself only to find that all of the reg b/u's were 2 years old..OK this is a problem but not a major one.The problem is that the machine was on a domain before (about two years ago lol) and I can't convince it other wise.I'v removed all the services-protacols-adapt and remove all the ref to the domain name in the registry,but when I try to reinstall for the customers workgroup(it connects and has internet)the login says it needs a domain.and when I try to look at win critical updates it says I dont have the rights ! I'm assuming that it has to do with the domain. I know "its time to reinstall" but this should be an easy fix ! (famous last words)

thanks

Click,
    Start,
    Settings
    Control Panel
    double click Network
    double click Client for Microsoft Networks
    remove the tick
    Reboot
    Also check the Workgroup name under the Identification tab
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks Biggles, I knew I was just missing something simple. The network guy will be proud when he gets back from vacation. ...thanks again!

Comment

follow up....I still get errors "administrator only" getting win critical updates. I assume it is a profile remains from the domain setup?? any ideas

thanks

Comment

final update..I d/l ie6 and installed..everything looks good ! so much for my assumptions..this was the most time consuming noisy fan replacement !
          when the going gets weird..the weird turn pro

Comment

Originally posted by Snap
            follow up....I still get errors "administrator only" getting win critical updates. I assume it is a profile remains from the domain setup?? any ideas

thanks
            Did you try running POLEDIT on the registry and removing any restrictions?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It wasnt a factor on this machine but I'v been really successful using this at a school account.A couple of "whiz kids" have been able to get around the web filter(web sense) and the desktop security(fortress)but I'v got'em stump with policy restrictions.....for now !

Comment

Working...
              X