Wipe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wipe

I have a relatively new SONY computer here that I am going to wipe. I have wiped computers in the past - with some it seems that the drivers get wiped out while others it seems that the drivers are kept.

How can I know beforehand if drivers will be wiped?

Re: Wipe

Well, IMHO, whenever you wipe a computer, nothing should remain on it. As I see it, there are two possibilities for drivers to "remain":
    - the wipe was not successful;
    - the drivers were embedded in the OS installations, so they were installed with the OS.
    Unless I'm mistaken, of course

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

If by "Wipe" you mean format, everything on the drive will go
      Some computers have a small partition with drivers etc. Others provide them on a CD or on the web.

If I were you I would
      a) document all the hardware
      b) get the correct drivers on a CD or usb drive
      well before you "wipe" anything
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ok - thanks.

Just to clarify, I used iolo DriveScrubber which meets DoD disk-sanitizing standards. Everything got erased from the computer. Either the disk I used to reinstall the OS had the drivers, or the drivers remained in a separate section of the computer system. What is typical on most newer machines?

Comment

From what you say, I think that the drivers are on the installation CD. From what I know about those hidden, manufacturer-made partitions, they keep a clean, out-of-the-factory image of the computer, that is to be used with a recovery CD that usually is shipped with the computer. I rarely saw drivers in there. Anyway, this partition is not supposed to be visible to the OS (it doesn't have a letter allocated).
          This said, the best thing you can do is to follow Ossian's advice (scan the hardware and get all the drivers up front).
          Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Working...
          X