Set CPU Priority for a Process

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Set CPU Priority for a Process

hi, how do i permanently set the cpu priority for a prog/process in TaskManager?

the thing is, if this prog's priority is not set to low, it can hang the whole comp. So I need a way to do this only once and not everytime i start the prog.

any ideas?
    gildan2020

You can set the priority when you launch an application using a batch file.

Create a new text document in the directory of the application you want to start with a lower priority then add the following line.

Code:
    cmd /c start /low appname.exe
    Save the text file and rename it to app.bat and now click it. Check task manager and look at the base priority of the app, it should be low. If you create a shortcut to the bat file and don't use any other method of starting the application it will always be at low priority.

Other priority settings are:: Realtime, High, AboveNormal, Normal,
    BelowNormal, Low.

Have fun.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by ahinson
      You can set the priority when you launch an application using a batch file.

Create a new text document in the directory of the application you want to start with a lower priority then add the following line.

Code:
      cmd /c start /low appname.exe
      Save the text file and rename it to app.bat and now click it. Check task manager and look at the base priority of the app, it should be low. If you create a shortcut to the bat file and don't use any other method of starting the application it will always be at low priority.

Other priority settings are:: Realtime, High, AboveNormal, Normal,
      BelowNormal, Low.

Have fun.
      hey, thanx for the solution

gildan2020

Comment

Re: Set CPU Priority for a Process

You may also want to use one of the plenty tools available for this purpose,

e.g.

Mediaware Task Manager 3.5 (http://<span style="color:Red"><b>RE...MOD</b></span>)
        ProcessTamer (http://<span style="color:Red"><b>RE...MOD</b></span>)

Greetings,
        bonv
        Last edited by biggles77; 24th March 2007, 22:28. Reason: Just me being paranoid. Bonv, be careful with future links you post.

Comment

Working...
        X