Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft licensing

Hi

I'm very sorry if the post is at wrong place.

I have a question about Microsoft licensing. I want four Pro XP 2 lisense for my home and lap use. Can somebody let me know what type of license should be benficial for me? or is it possible an FPP can be installed on my four machines.

Any help would me much appreciated. Thank you so much.
    Mohan Mathew[VU3MMU]
    MCITP [AD]

Re: Microsoft licensing

Contact your local Microsoft centre and get an answer from them. Get it in writing because no two people are likely to give you the same advice.

IIRC volume licensing starts kicking in at about 10 "units" (e.g. 5 x OS and 5 x office) so it may be best to buy separate copies of Windows. Please don't quote me on this, though I take it the laptops didn't come with an OS?

If you are a business selling computers/computer related products & services, you may want to look at becoming a Microsoft Registered Partner and subscribing to the Action Pack. In the UK it costs £200 ($400 ish) per year but gives you 10 licenses for a wide range of products.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Volume licensing kicks in at 5 licenses (mix and match).
      The is only two ways to get XP (or Vista), OEM and FPP.
      Volume license (Business, Value, Volume) would only help you for upgrade version.
      The Action Pack only has upgrade too.
      So I guess it depends on what you have now on those machines.
      If you do this often, become a OEM builder.

Post back on the current state of these machines.
      Last edited by Lior_S; 23rd January 2008, 17:11.
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Hi

Thank you for the reply

At present I have 2 machines. One is my lap, and the other is my PC. PC have XP home presintalled, and the lap have only Linux. I'm using XP Pro with Service pack in my office. The perfomance and features comparing to XP Home, is very good. I'm planning to buy a new PC for my kids. So i would like to install XP on all three machines. If I purchase XP Pro with service pack 2, is it possible to install on 3 of them? or I need to purchase 3 serperate license for each?

Thank you soo mcuh for your replies. I really appreciate your help.
        Mohan Mathew[VU3MMU]
        MCITP [AD]

Comment

One license per computer for operating systems.

For Office, check the licensing on the Student edition as I think it allows 3 PCs

Tom
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi

Which license will be suitable ? Go for an OEM or Volume License?

Thank You
            Mohan Mathew[VU3MMU]
            MCITP [AD]

Comment

Oem for the new computer for the kids
              FPP for your laptop (now using linux)
              FPP - upgrade, for the xp home machine
              Last edited by Lior_S; 23rd January 2008, 17:11.
              "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Hi

Thank you for the replies
                Mohan Mathew[VU3MMU]
                MCITP [AD]

Comment

I was just reading this thread again, all the FFP's should be FPP.
                  I will edit and fix.

Comment

Working...
                  X