Invalid Boot Diskette

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invalid Boot Diskette

I recently wiped a hard drive I had here and am attempting to install XP using a re-install disk from Dell.

I put the CD into the CD-ROM and when the machine boots up, it says Invalid Boot Diskette, Insert Boot Diskette in A:

I then tried to use the Windows XP Setup disks (6 floppies downloaded from microsoft.com). Again I received the same error.

I then tried to the MS Windows XP System setup disk and again received the Invalid Boot diskette error.

I need to get XP back onto this system & any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Invalid Boot Diskette

Why is your computer trying to access the floppy when you start with the CD?
    I would check the boot sequence in BIOS...
    What DELL are we talking about?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Dell Dimension L566cx

Boot Sequence:
      1st - ATAPI CDROM
      2nd - ARMD-FDD
      3rd - IDE-HDD
      4th - Disabled

Comment

Press F12 or F2 when you boot the machine and that should bring up the menu. Select the CD drive and press enter.

Comment

joeqwerty -

Boot Sequence:
          1st - ATAPI CDROM

The first thing selected is already the CDROM.

Comment

Indeed, but by doing what joeqwerty said you only give your computer one option. Nothing to choose from. You can achieve the same by disabling in BIOS everything except the CD (less useful, since you will need to enter the BIOS later and change again to the HD).
            If your first boot device is the CD and your computer still goes to the floppy, you might have a problem with the CD media or with the CD drive.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

So when my computer boots up, you want me to go into the BIOS and do what exactly...I'm not sure?

Comment

Follow joeqwerty's advice...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Thanks for the help. I went in and set up the Floppy as the only device to boot. I was then able to complete a full setup.

Thanks.

Comment

Great! I'm glad you solved the issue.
                    And thank you for updating the forum.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                    X