Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overheat CPU Warning - sytem "freeze"-BSOD !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheat CPU Warning - sytem "freeze"-BSOD !

Recently , after a re-boot , I began to get the error message "CPU temp too high - Press F1 to continue " . Initially I ignored this as I thought the level at which this warning level was triggered had been set too low in the BIOS .

These warnings began to occur with increasing frequency in addition to intermittent "freezing" of the P.C. which could only be cured by a re-boot.

The last time I looked in the BIOS the CPU temp was 63 C.

Finally , I got a BSOD with the following Error messages:-

"STOP:0x000000F4 (0x00000003,0x85EADCA8,0x85EADE1C,0x805C77iE) "

I switched the P.C. off and let it have time to cool down when I retried to boot it once more . This produced what seemed to be a normal boot into Windows but with the screen again frozen as was the mouse curser.

I switched it off again.

I don't suppose there is too much mystery as to the likely cause of this problem in this case given the symptoms described but , before attempting to remedy things by investigating the CPU cooling or lack of it , fan state , general dust indide the case etc .. I was wondering whether the error codes indicated any areas in particular to help solve this .

Re: Overheat CPU Warning - sytem "freeze"-BSOD !

Regarding the error message: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330100 . But I wouldn't waste time on this, until I've solved the overheating issue.
    Check the CPU fan and dust first. 63 degrees Celsius sounds like a high value, but cannot say for sure, because you didn't say what CPU you're using. Take a look at these tables to see the Max. Temperature value for your CPU: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/143/5 (and subsequent pages) .
    Also, there are a lot of tools and methods to monitor your CPUs temperature. Take a look at this article for some explanations and suggestions: http://www.tech-faq.com/monitor-cpu-temperature.shtml
    Good luck. Keep us posted.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Re: Overheat CPU Warning - sytem "freeze"-BSOD !

First - thanks for the prompt reply.

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
      Regarding the error message: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330100 . But I wouldn't waste time on this, until I've solved the overheating issue.

Those were my thoughts also - I'll do that.
      Check the CPU fan and dust first. 63 degrees Celsius sounds like a high value, but cannot say for sure, because you didn't say what CPU you're using.

Yes - sorry about that - its an AMD "something " - who can remember these details? , <vbg> - I would have included this detail except that by the time I remebered to note this it was too late !
      Take a look at these tables to see the Max. Temperature value for your CPU: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/143/5 (and subsequent pages) .
      Also, there are a lot of tools and methods to monitor your CPUs temperature. Take a look at this article for some explanations and suggestions: http://www.tech-faq.com/monitor-cpu-temperature.shtml

Thanks for those references also .

Good luck. Keep us posted.
      Will do .

Comment

Re: Overheat CPU Warning - sytem &quot;freeze&quot;-BSOD !

I've once burned a CPU (smoking computer case is quite strange to see ) by ignoring overheating although I didn't get error messages.
        My CPU went from a Gray colour to a nice black color..

Make sure you've placed proper Thermal Compound like Arctic Silver.
        Also make sure you're fan has been placed properly.
        Last edited by Dumber; 18th January 2008, 22:29.
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
          I've once burned a CPU (smoking computer case is quite strange to see ) by ignoring overheating although I didn't get error messages.
          My CPU went from a Gray colour to a nice black color..

Make sure you've placed proper Thermal Compound like Arctic Silver.
          Also make sure you're fan has been placed properly.
          I'll bet is was an AMD. Intel have a thermal overload switch that shuts the CPU down if it gets too hot.

As mentioned by a wiser man then me, check the CPU fan and heatsink. Also check that the plastic bracket holding the heatsink and fan on the motherboard has not broken. In the past I have had clips on 2 different brackets break and it results in the heatsink losing full contact with the CPU. In my case the server would boot and keep running but when I logged on to it, the extra applets that started running caused a heat increase and a resulting BSOD. The cause was difficult to spot since the heatsink didn't look like it had come adrift from the CPU. It took removing the motherboard from the case to actually see the problem.

Another thing to consider is HDD cooling fans and an extra case fan or 2. I drill holes in the blanking plates on the 5.25" bays to allow for extra airflow. Also as mentioned above I replaced the Intel therma paste with Artic Silver and this resulted in a 10 - 12C drop in the CPU temp. (Results will vary)

You may also have a faulty CPU. Information about your setup and environemt will assist in a better diagnosis.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            I'll bet is was an AMD. Intel have a thermal overload switch that shuts the CPU down if it gets too hot.
            Jups it was an AMD. Since then I'm only using Intel.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

Good point biggles - HD cooling is just as necessary.

I have a P4 3.2E (Prescott) CPU and it has a very nice Tuniq Tower 120 cooler on it - at times I have seen the operating temp as low as 29C, almost unheard of with non-water based cooling. However, I was having problems almost exactly like yours. I could get the system to boot, but upon logging in the machine shut down.

It got to the point where, when I got frustrated, I kept going into the BIOS and checking settings, taking down the Dynamic OCing technology built into my mobo to figure out the problem - and the shut downs came quicker and quicker, until one time it shut down while I was in the BIOS.

I visually inspected every thing many times, and knew my cooler was attached correctly and mated tightly to the CPU, and I had used nothing but arctic silver. So, I was at a loss - until I started disconnecting every thing. When I got to my primary HD (Seagate Barracuda 120 GB 7200rpm IDE), ***after the machine had been powered off almost 10 minutes***, it was still almost too hot to touch. This had never happened before - but then again, I had not been using this motherboard before, was not using Vista before, and was not dynamically OCing the system.

I drilled a couple of holes in the front, and took out a 2A Dell case fan (actually meant to cool the CPU via a funky green shroud) and mounted it at the bottom front of my case. I then took same said green shroud and placed it on the bottom of my tower interior, so that the air from the fan is deflected upward, blowing onto the HD.

Now, my HD temps stays at a steady 41C and I have no more machine shutdown issues. All the dynamic OCing is back on as well.

@thenoo - all the advice given here is excellent - I recently dealt with a similar issue over at Castle Cops, and it runs out the heatsink mounting bracket for that particular user had broken in one corner - resulting in a less than optimal mating between the CPU and the heatsink. YMMV, but if you find that all your CPU related cooling is in place correctly, might take a look next at how the HDs are faring in terms of temp. My guess is that in your case it is going to be CPU related solely because of the temps you are registering (69C is a rather high temp, seeing as I have one of the hottest processors around and I run on average between 34 and 36C at normal operation temps) but just in case look at your other components as well - for example, I took an old cooling fan of a much older P2 or P3 CPU and rigged it atop my North Bridge heatsink, just to be sure, as the fins on that puppy were also warm....
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks to all who've replied to my original post.

I stripped the P.C. down , cleaned out all the dust and crud then , to get at the CPU heatsink and fan , I had to remove the m/b as I could only really access these when removed from the case.

There was a lot of dust inside the CPU fan and , to clean it properly , I detached the fan from the heatsink - I even found a dead mosquito in there !There didn't appear to have been any overheat damage to the CPU but - who can say ?

I've re-assembled it all again and the CPU temps are down about 8 degrees.

I won't say the problem is cured yet until I've had a few days trouble-free running in case there has been some damage done that is not showing up at the moment .

I have 2 12cm fans on the case .

Comment

Originally posted by thenoo View Post
                  I even found a dead mosquito in there !
                  So is that a feature or a bug?
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by thenoo View Post
                    Thanks to all who've replied to my original post.

I stripped the P.C. down , cleaned out all the dust and crud then , to get at the CPU heatsink and fan , I had to remove the m/b as I could only really access these when removed from the case.

There was a lot of dust inside the CPU fan and , to clean it properly , I detached the fan from the heatsink - I even found a dead mosquito in there !There didn't appear to have been any overheat damage to the CPU but - who can say ?

I've re-assembled it all again and the CPU temps are down about 8 degrees.

I won't say the problem is cured yet until I've had a few days trouble-free running in case there has been some damage done that is not showing up at the moment .

I have 2 12cm fans on the case .
                    Did yo reapply the Thermal Compound?
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                      So is that a feature or a bug?

Geeeeeeeeeeeeee, man... It was a dead bug !!

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                      -

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                        Did yo reapply the Thermal Compound?
                        Yes I did.

Latest update on this:-

Although the overheated CPU problem seems to have been cleared by the housekeeping described in an earlier post here , I'm afraid I'm still getting fairly frequent BSOD's.

I have to assume this is related to the original overheat indication otherwise it would be too much of a coincidence to have another unrelated problem at the same time.

My problem is now to establish what exactly it is which has been affected with that overheat.

Apart from the error messages being received in the BSOD's , I notice that running CHKDSK shows no errors on all Partitions except that on the C:/ drive it always sticks at 4% on Stage 4 of 5 . thats the one which "....verifies file data "

I am thinking of restoring an earlier Image File of the C:/ drive to see whether that will cure the CHKDSK pause.

Of course , by pursuing this line I'm assuming the problem of the BSOD's is being caused by a software "glitch" and not by some damage somewhere in some hardware after the overheat.

If the re-installation and re-wipe of the C:/ drive by the installation of the Image File produces no change in the CHKDSK "hang" , I suppose I could run the P.C. in Safe Mode for some time to see whether the BSOD's then do not re- occur , thus suggesting it is probably due to hardware damage.

This post consists really of my thinking out loud but , should anyone have any suggestions , I would be glad to hear them.

For information the Blue Screen Error Messages so far received are given here:-

"STOP: 0x0000004 , STOP: 0x000000F4"

These above messages included at various times the additional messages :-

"0x00000003, 0x863818A8, 0x86381A1C, 0x805C773E, 0x86229DAO, 0x86229F14, 0x805C773E

If anyone understands any of these I'll be most impressed !

Comment

Had a similar problem with CHKDSK hanging at 43%. Turned out to be a fualty HDD. If it is the same in your case, you will be copying an image over the fauly part of the drive. Suggest you do a FULL format to try and map out the bad clusters. Keep in mind that if clusters are failing now it will most likely only get worse. Replace the HDD is the best option if the drive is indeed faulty.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                            Had a similar problem with CHKDSK hanging at 43%. Turned out to be a fualty HDD. If it is the same in your case, you will be copying an image over the fauly part of the drive. Suggest you do a FULL format to try and map out the bad clusters. Keep in mind that if clusters are failing now it will most likely only get worse. Replace the HDD is the best option if the drive is indeed faulty.
                            Yes I'm thinking that way myself - Do you suppose the faulty hard disk could be related to the overheat problem I mentioned in my OP ? it seems a remarkeable coincidence if the two are un-related ? The temps mentioned in the CPU overheat ( 63 C ) didn't seem too excessive and I tend to think these were confined only to the CPU as the hard drives didn't seem to be hot when I looked at them.

Comment

I don't think that the overheating damaged the disk, but a relative high number of reboots could have done that.
                              The boot process is a very resource-intensive process for the computer, for all its parts, especially the hard disk.
                              What HD do you have? Seagate and WD have tools to check the status of your disk, so use one of them and see what's going on...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                              X