No announcement yet.

USB fingerprint scanner not detected.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB fingerprint scanner not detected.

I have an application that install biometric fingerprint scanners (Symwave) in this case. The scanner install correctly as admin. If you log in as a regular user the device show in the Control panel as working properly. It also shows as working properly if you connect as guest. However when either a limited user (regular user) or guest attempt to call the device from the application they receive a message "No scanner detected"
    The non-admin user was granted add remove drivers privileges. The non-admin user can go ahead, remove and reinstall the drivers for the fingerprint scanner yet cannot use the scanner because it is not available to the app. Any suggestions?

Re: USB fingerprint scanner not detected.

I didnt realise USB devices worked with MS DOS!

On the off chance you are using a different operating system, how about a wee hint to get us started?

Basically, the more information about the hardware and software environment, the more likely we are to be able to help you

Have you tried the sites for the scanner and the software (if different) to see if this is a known issue?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: USB fingerprint scanner not detected.

Does the FP scanner use a service running all the time, and does hte user have access to interface with the service? I have a FP scanner built into my KB and it has 1 service and 1 app that is runs on boot - but I haven't tried a limited user yet as I don't let anyone near my machine at home....

I could always set up a dummy user and test mine and see if limited users work with mine and report back if you like....