most likely just a question about ram memory being used

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• most likely just a question about ram memory being used

where can i go to find out how much (ram)memory is being used on my computer? i know task manager shows processes which should be everything, cuz svchost.exe and explorer.exe are handling all background processes and services. i cannot figure out why there is missing ram.
    for example the task manager shows that i have 777mb ram, which is correct, but 250mb is being used, and the processes are all showing up to around 80mb, so where is the other 170mb? does it have something to do with cache or something? which would mean the missing memory is available if needed ?

this is most likely not a memory leak or any kind of problem because ive looked this up on other computers and everyone has missing memory

i just need to know what is using the ram memory even if it cannot be deleted, so i know how this computer works, and possibly free some ram for better gaming. thanks

Re: most likely just a question about ram memory being used

Out of the sleeve answer (and boy, I hate to do that !!): see that the Show process from all users checkbox is checked on the Processes tab of the Task Manager (look at the attached picture).
    Now, if you want a better answer, please post some more info:
    - what OS are you running?
    - how much RAM do you have installed?
    - what graphic card do you have, with how much RAM on it and if it's shared?

I also would suggest to read these articles regarding what RAM is and how the computer works with it (there might be better articles out there, these are what I found in few clicks):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAM
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/co...ry-channel.htm

Good luck. Keep us posted.
    Attached Files

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

yah i do have the "all users" checked, the only user is me so it doesnt show anything different with or without

i didnt know it mattered what kind my cp was so i didnt post it, here it is though

windows xp home edition, 777mb ram, graphics hahah is very bad, dont know about shared or not but was already built in when bought and is only 64mb intel celeron, which is mostly the lag problem with games so i no how to fix that but wanna no about ram and where it all is in hidden kernel or something but how to get to it, someone told me it was set for reserve for something, makes no sense to me

Comment

From what you are saying, the memory is not the reason your games look bad. Especially that it looks you have plenty of RAM available.
        What games are you trying to play?
        I would upgrade the CPU and the graphics card. But first, check with a local tech guy if such upgrade is possible and/or effective. From what you gave so far, I have no clue on both.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

well thanks for the help, i am just gonna leave the hidden ram where ever it is, and just know that it is being useful somewhere on the computer. i will upgrade the graphics card asap so games stop lagging, and cpu usage, im going to have to look that up and how to upgrade that, never heard of it before, but i know that cpu usage jumps to 100% alot so that would be a nice add-on. thanks again, and thats about all ..peace

Comment

Working...
          X