Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Pro Installation Issue

Hi..

Thank you for anyone who would help me with this problem, I actually have 2 issues, but one at a time I suppose..

Ok, I have a Dell Precision 380, which is running 3 200G drives on raid.. currently running XP64,, What I would like to do is set up another partition and install XP pro 32Bit and run a dual boot. My problem is when I load the XP Pro 32Bit Service Pack 2, it doesn’t load what ever is needed to recognize the drives, there for I cant install.. I don’t know what is missing.. I get an option F6 for third party raid & controller drives.. ect.. I'm not sure what I need to do make this work? do I need another utility on disc? and how would I apply it during the installation.

When I use my XP64Bit Installation disc, I don’t have this problem.. so something is missing from the older version XP Pro 32Bit..

I hope this makes sense..

Thanks for your time..

Re: XP Pro Installation Issue

First you have to make sure that XP 32 bit supports your raid hardware. Next you need to create a floppy disk with the appropriate 32 bit raid drivers. Next, when setup starts press F6, pop the floppy in, press S to specify that you want to load specific storage drivers, then press enter when setup lists the driver(s) on the floppy.

Comment

Ouch!! no floppy drive? hmm..

Comment

Is there any other way to install the RAID drivers other than floppy?

Comment

A previous post on this site has mentioned a USB stick that comes with software that will emulate a floppy drive. Other than that the only other thing is to temporarily attach a floppy drive to your system, install drivers and remove drive when finished.

Do you have a particular reason for wanting both versions of XP on your machine?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Dell Precision 380 doesn't have a floppy drive among its options: http://www.dell.com/downloads/global...ecn_380_en.pdf
            From what you're describing, looks like the installation disk you use doesn't have the appropriate drivers to recognize the SATA controller you have.
            What I would do is to find the driver, copy it on an DOK, boot from the installation disk and after you get the F6 message, see if it reads the DOK. The method I used the last time it didn't was to connect an external USB FloppyDrive and get the driver on a floppy.
            BTW, some BIOS versions have the options of emulating USB DOKs as other devices, so check what your BIOS gives you....

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
            In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -
            «««««

Comment

Ok.. I have usb options in my bios for usb floppy.. can anyone reccomend software that will emulate a floppy drive on a memory stick, I have a 128M Scan Disk.

Comment

If your BIOS allows USB floppy, it might do the emulation by itself. I would try it before anything else.

If it won't work, ...

http://www.msfn.org/board/F6-Driver-...py-t82711.html

Quote from h a l f b a k e r y :
                Well, something like that does exist, though it is not widely known, there are USB memory sticks with a switch that changes them between full capacity and 1.44 Mb floppy. Netac, for example, makes them. As well there are USB sticks that are divided into a "CD-like" volume AND a "HD-like" one. Unfortunately it is very difficult to find them. However most of the problems you mentioned can be solved by using Grub4dos as the bootmanager on the stick and let it emulate a floppy disk from an image of the floppy.
                This might be too complicate though. Link to Grub4DOS: https://sourceforge.net/projects/grub4dos

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -
                «««««

Comment

Ok,

I have been working the last few days.. I was able to attach a floppy drive to my system. I am able to F6 to the point to where its loading or at least trying to load the drivers, I am getting ' the file is currupt' while trying to load the 'iastor sys' file..

I was wondering if it makes a difference whether that file is written for 32 bit xp or 64 bit xp, the file I loaded I obtained from the 64bit XP disc, I have tried google to locate the Intel Drivers IAAHCI.INF, IAAHCI.CAT, IASTOR.INF, IASTOR.CAT, IASTOR.SYS, and TXTSETUP.OEM.. I am having difficulty finding them, I'm not sure how to locate these files and if they have to be 32 bit for xp..

?? Thanks again for your help guys!

Comment

Of course it does matter. A 64 bit driver is not going to work in a 32 bit OS. Have you cheked the Dell web site for the appropriate 32 bit driver?

Comment

A "file is corrupt" message can mean a faulty floppy diskette. I would prepare another one, just to keep it handy.
                      Regarding the driver, I always look on the manufacturer's site. Especially when talking about brand names. This way you will get the most updated driver, more than any D that came with the machine. See if anything from here is what you need: http://support.dell.com/support/down...&fileid=173456
                      A great weekend to us all !!

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                      -
                      «««««

Comment

Working...
                      X