Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dual (triple)boot error

I had to reinstall 98se on c:, and I have xp pro installed on e:@g:
    After thr installation I couldnt log to xp, so applied the method described in "installing 98 after xp"
    after starting the pc there was again the boot screen, only when triyng to boot into 98 I got a message:I/O error
    multy(0)disk(0)rdisk(0) partition(1)\disksect.dos and the pc froze
    thnks
    Attached Files

Re: dual (triple)boot error

So I understand you have three OSes:
    Win98 on partition 1
    WinXP on partition 3
    WinXP on partition 5
    Am I right?
    Another thing: the error message you get on DISKSECT.DOS, or BOOTSECT.DOS?
    Can you boot in any of the XPs?
    Last edited by sorinso; 12th January 2008, 17:51. Reason: misunderstanding ...

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -
    «««««

Comment

Hi
      yes, thats how my partitions look
      the error massage I get is BOOTSECT.DOS and yes, I can log into both xp's
      thnks

Comment

Hmmmmm.
        It will be nice if you could be more accurate next time...
        See this page: http://mirror.href.com/thestarman/asm/mbr/bootini.htm . Browse to the lower part, you will see this:
        What can I do if BOOTSECT.DOS was Deleted?
        You will find there instructions how to solve your problem.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
        In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -
        «««««

Comment

Sorry, I couldnt sort it out
          Thnks anyway

Comment

You're giving up so quickly?
            Do you want to tell us what you did so far?

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
            -
            «««««

Comment

OK
              lets start from the beggining
              on my pc there are 3 login options
              1) 98se from c:
              2)xp pro from e:
              3) xp pro from g:
              on one phisical disk.
              multy boot menu
              everything worked ok till I got " blue screen of death" while login to the 98se, even in safe mode
              I reinstalled the 98 ,but then I didnt get the boot menu and it logged automaticaly to the 98
              I applied the instractions in this site article"installing 98 after xp", the multyboot menu reappeared, it logged ok to both xp's, but when trying to boot into the 98 I got the massage in my previous note "multy(0)disk(0)rdisk(0) partition(1)\disksect.dos"
              I tryied to rename the "bootsect.dos" file so that it will not be recognized, but the massage appeare
              The 'boot.ini' looks to me ok (it is attached)
              I tried to look at the article you suggested but I could not see anything wrong
              Your help at solving the problem will be much apprichieted
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mzik View Post
                I tried to look at the article you suggested but I could not see anything wrong
                Well, it wasn't supposed to be something wrong in the article.
                As I previous stated, in the lower part of the article you have the following paragraphs:

What can I do if BOOTSECT.DOS was Deleted?
                To see a similar method for booting up DOS or older Windows partitions or even Linux (if LiLo is its boot sector) using a Bootsect data file and BOOT.INI, see: Boot Part. Though bootpart was first written for Windows™ NT (some material on the page is dated and links may be broken), the bootpart program is still quite useful for creating a file that will boot alternate OSs from a BOOT.INI file. The program runs under Windows™ NT, 2000, XP, 2003 or DOS (with certain limitations). For example, when we ran BOOTPART (no switches) on a multi-OS partitioned 20 GiB drive, it displayed:

Physical number of disk 0 : e1a8e1a8
                0 : C: type=7 (HPFS/NTFS), size= 7052503 KB, Lba Pos=63
                1 : C:* type=c (Win95 Fat32 LBA), size= 6144862 KB, Lba POs=14105070
                2 : C: type=83 (Linux native), size= 64260 KB, Lba POs=26394795
                3 : C: type=5 (Extended), size= 6747300 KB, Lba POs=26523315
                4 : C: type=82 (Linux swap), size= 136521 KB, Lba POs=26523378
                5 : C: type=5 (Extended), size= 6610747 KB, Lba POs=26796420
                6 : C: type=83 (Linux native), size= 6610716 KB, Lba POs=26796483

The asterisk in the display above shows the FAT32 partition (type=c) is marked to boot in the Partition Table, but this drive uses a boot manager making 'Active' boot settings irrelevant. Note: For some odd reason, bootpart labels whole physical drives as C:, D:, etc.; otherwise, it gives very good information about the drive (including the location of each Extended MBR sector!). After running the command:
                bootpart 1 C:\BOOTSECT.DOS Windows 98
                The program dumped its usual 'no switch' display again (not a nice thing to do in my opinion!) and then stated:

C:\BOOTSECT.DOS written
                C:\BOOT.INI updated
                When we forgot to use the Path with the BOOTSECT.DOS filename, it was created in the same folder that we ran bootpart in, and the following line was added to the C:\BOOT.INI file:
                C:\theStarman\asm\mbr\WORK\BOOTSECT.DOS="Windows 98"
                But, it was easy enough to edit it in NOTEPAD and move the file to the root folder; thus allowing us to use only the line: C:\ = "Windows 98" (since we used the filename, BOOTSECT.DOS). If we'd used a name like "WIN98.DAT," then a full pathname would have been required in BOOT.INI, such as:
                C:\WIN98.DAT = "Windows 98" (which is why bootpart always includes the full path in BOOT.INI no matter what file name you use).

Note: When trying to verify the use of the "LBA" switch with bootpart, the description portion of the line written to BOOT.INI was filled with a number of weird (and oft times unreadable!) characters never typed on the command line! We're seeking examples of BOOT.INI files written by bootpart when the partition is beyond 8.4 GiB into the drive... we'd like to see both your BOOT.INI (copied directly from root folder into a .ZIP archive!) and whatever kind of Bootsect file bootpart made from both without and with the LBA switch!
                The link to the BootPart: http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm
                I would get the tool and follow the instructions and see is it solves the problem. This is the part my help can cover. I cannot do the actual steps, this is your part of the deal.
                Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                -
                «««««

Comment

Working...
                X