Stopping Apple Updates?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stopping Apple Updates?

I have installed Apple Quicktime but I have done so without installing iTunes which I really, really don't want on my PC yet every so often up pops this Apple update dialog offering me an install of Quicktime & iTunes and I just want it to go away. To be perfectly honest I don't care to update this kind of software regularly, I'd simply prefer to do it manually when I feel there is a need.

Does anyone know if there is a way to switch this service off (I can't even find any service that's apple related on my PC) as I'm beginning to wonder if my only way out is to remove Quicktime altogether!

Kyu
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: Stopping Apple Updates?

What operating system are you running?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Assuming you're using XP/Vista...

Check Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs (XP) or Programs and Features (Vista) and look for something called "Apple Updater." Uninstall that and you should be set.
      A+, Network+, Security+
      MCSE+Security on Server 2003

Comment

There should also be an option within QT itself to disable automatic updates
        << Working together to prevent ID10T errors >>

Comment

You can try this:

Goto, Start-->Settings-->Control Panel--> QuickTime and double click in Quicktime. There you will get update Tab, where you can uncheck the Check for updates automatically option to disable this.

Norbert
          Last edited by norbert.ranjith; 21st February 2008, 05:36.

Comment

Thanks everyone ... I uninstalled the updater

It was XP Pro BTW

Kyu
            J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
            The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Comment

The problem with that is the next time you manually install QT / iTunes, it will reinstall itself. But if you uncheck the option to check for updates, then the options should stay set the same after a manual update / upgrade.

Caveat: I cannot remember if the installer for either product allows for customizing the installer, but if it does, then you may be able to deselect the updater from installing, and thus never have it on your system....otherwise, it's as I said above.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X