Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sysprep locking up the hardware install

Problem – sysprep hell
    Symptoms – can’t change computer name (want random), the hardware install wizard is locked and I have to reg hack to unlock it, turning off system restore

Equipment – server 2003, and all XP machines (SP2 with all MS updates), sysprep 8/3/2004 DL from MS

What I am doing – running sysprep (ini file below) selecting factory (I have tried with both minisetup and with out.)
    Shutdown>image>image new machine
    Sysprep runs again but I close it, delete the folder and go about things.

I can’t figure out what I am doing wrong I have read the MS docs several times and I still can’t see where the problem is. Please help.

;SetupMgrTag
    [Unattended]
    OemsSkipEula=Yes
    InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386
    KeepPageFile=0

[GuiUnattended]
    AdminPassword="xxxxxx"
    EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
    OEMSkipRegional=1
    OEMDuplicatorstring=%date% HDHSPotato
    TimeZone=20
    OemSkipWelcome=1

[UserData]
    ProductKey=xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-ect
    FullName=""
    OrgName="HDHS"
    ComputerName="Auto" (here I have tried * also but nether prompts me for a computer name or generates a random one they all uses the existing machines user name)

[TapiLocation]
    CountryCode=1

[SetupMgr]
    DistFolder=C:\sysprep\i386
    DistShare=windist

[Identification]
    JoinWorkgroup=jubileehome

[Networking]
    InstallDefaultComponents=Yes
    Last edited by JustThisAdmin; 8th January 2008, 18:21.

Re: sysprep locking up the hardware install

You should set ComputerName=* and always use Mini-setup to allow Sysprep to prepare the hard disk.

Ideally you should create a Sysprep folder in C:\ with just sysprep.exe, sysprep.ini and the setupcl.exe command as well in it and optionally an i386 folder with 3rd party drivers if necessary. You should NOT delete the sysprep folder or the files in it as they are required when restarting as sysprep itself will do that.

Comment

Re: sysprep locking up the hardware install

Originally posted by pjhutch View Post
      You should set ComputerName=* and always use Mini-setup to allow Sysprep to prepare the hard disk.

Ideally you should create a Sysprep folder in C:\ with just sysprep.exe, sysprep.ini and the setupcl.exe command as well in it and optionally an i386 folder with 3rd party drivers if necessary. You should NOT delete the sysprep folder or the files in it as they are required when restarting as sysprep itself will do that.

I have tried ComputerName=* and still got the old computers name, I also needed the factory.exe since that is what I am selecting (if you think something else is better please let me know).

Am I to understand from what you are saying that sysprep should restart the imaged machine?

IE - put image on new computer, start up, sysprep restarts, then it's all good?

Comment

Working...
      X